What's new

TRIP TO THE KEYS: THE REST OF THE STORY

Northern Lights

Full Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
148
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
Having hunted mostly fresh water, the exception being years ago in Altantic City at a Federation hunt, so the Keys was a new experience for me. We usually spend our winters in Arizona playing tennis & pickle ball, without a detector as I'm not a prospector. Although not my first choice as a prime hunting area, it was determined by a overdue visit to relatives in the Keys
Learning the tide effects was interesting and it cooperated for the most part as I played tennis most mornings and water hunted later in the day. It was mostly hit and miss, trying a few different beaches. A couple produced only caps and pulltabs & a few pennies while a couple of others had more targets.
My duel field Whites pulse worked well in the area but I had no idea what most of the targets were till I got home and used CLR to dissolve the salt away, but of course the rings came out in pretty good shape. I know! I know! you not supposed to clean finds but if you don't know what they are in the first place ??? lol .

I'ts interesting to learn that the unusual shaped target might be a real or a cob as some of you have indicated. Here is all I know about it, it is not magnetic, it weighs 4.5 grams, it is 1/16 of an inch thick, and it still gives a good clear signal at both pulltab and zinc penny discrimination on my Tesoro Silver Sabre and it is a dark grey in colour. I used CLR on this also to dissolve the salt away to find out what it might be .

The drinkers must prefer cans instead of bottles as I found a lot more pulltabs than caps, it's usually the other way around up here.
 

Attachments

  • the keys   items 001.webp
    the keys items 001.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 210
  • the keys   items 002.webp
    the keys items 002.webp
    718.5 KB · Views: 206
  • what 2 001.webp
    what 2 001.webp
    276 KB · Views: 199
  • what is it 009.webp
    what is it 009.webp
    335.6 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 0
I'd say you did just fine in the Keys!!!!
 
I'd say you had a great trip.
:occasion14:
 
Mel Fisher called, He wants his "cob" back! Seriously, I can't find that particular style in my cob research, (which is limited) I am sure if you posted in the "what is it" thread, the pros will chime in. It may be a modern, pot metal "fakeroo", but in case it isn't, I wouldn't do any further cleaning until you know what you have..lightening may have struck! Hope it's a "reale", spanish silver cob. Good luck. Oh, and BTW, nice rings.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom