Trying To ID Rock/Meteorite Found Today

King Rob

Oct 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys I'm new here and I found this today while I was digging in my yard to bury a cable. I have about 5 minutes of experience with this type of stuff so if it turns out to be nothing forgive my ignorance....

I thought it looked like some meteorite pics I've seen so I brought it inside and cleaned it up. When I checked for info on google my first thought was it's probably slag. It did effect a magnet a very tiny bit but it doesn't have the holes like the slag pics I compared it to.

So I was told to check with you guys. Honestly this type of stuff is fascinating to me. I would love to go on searches and digs just trying to find anything from the past.

Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 1

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right it doesn't have the classic "thumb print" look, but slightly magnetic is a good start.

It also doesn't appear to me to have a fussion crust, so I'm going to have to give you a no vote.

Don't feel bad if it isn't, rocks are common, meteors are rare.

Diggin for treasure is a great pass time.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't feel bad if it isn't, rocks are common, meteors are rare.

Diggin for treasure is a great pass time.

Two great truths.

Cool rock find even if it isn't a meteorite.

Meteorites can be found with a metal detector if you're in the right area. I saw one guy on TV a few years back who makes a living that way. He gets big money for some of them.
Food for thought.

OP
OP
K

King Rob

Oct 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh I looked at some pics of what fusion crust would look like after reading the reply and I don't see it on either. Do you guys have any idea what that white layer might be? It doesn't show up well in those pics but it's like somebody took chalk and drew a white line all around it .

Thanks again for the info/help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread