What's new

trying to identify these 2 items

Farside

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to identify these two items, it was suggested I move to thread to this forum......

I'm trying to get some information on two items (attached photos). Both of the items were given to me about 60 years ago by an Aunt that lived in ILL. I don't know if the items are from that state, but as I recall she said they were found near a river in the northern part of ILL. The stone axe? is about 5"X 4"X 3", and weights about 3 pounds, the pipe? is in rough condition (has been broken) and is about 4" X 4".
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC03214.webp
    DSC03214.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC03213.webp
    DSC03213.webp
    121.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC03212.webp
    DSC03212.webp
    358.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC03211.webp
    DSC03211.webp
    352.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC03218.webp
    DSC03218.webp
    405.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03217.webp
    DSC03217.webp
    408.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC03216.webp
    DSC03216.webp
    206.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03215.webp
    DSC03215.webp
    343.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
Welcome to the site. Im sure somebody will be able to help you.
 
You are correct with pipe the other is a grooved stone axe head
 
The axe looks to be an Archaic axe, maybe 4,000 years old. The axe doesn't look broken rather it was resharpened until it was too short and then discarded. The damage on the cutting edge (the bit) looks to me to be use damage. Overall the axe is a very nice example, a great find and a piece everyone here would be glad to have in their collection.

I don't know a lot about the pipe. I'd guess it's old but not ancient (post european contact). Someone else on here will be able to provide you with more info on the pipe.

Welcome to the site. Is you name a reference to Gary Larson's work?
 
The axe looks to be an Archaic axe, maybe 4,000 years old. The axe doesn't look broken rather it was resharpened until it was too short and then discarded. The damage on the cutting edge (the bit) looks to me to be use damage. Overall the axe is a very nice example, a great find and a piece everyone here would be glad to have in their collection.

I don't know a lot about the pipe. I'd guess it's old but not ancient (post european contact). Someone else on here will be able to provide you with more info on the pipe.

Welcome to the site. Is you name a reference to Gary Larson's work?

Thanks for the info, and yes I've always been a fan of larson's...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom