What's new

Tuesday - Coin pickup day 06-12-2007

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's coin pickup I ended up with

1 - $500 bag of dimes
1 - $200 bag of nickels
3 - $50 bags of pennies
1 - $25 bag of pennies

Went through the $200 bag of nickels first.

0 War nickels
42 pre-1960 Jefferson (1939, 1940(4), 1941(2), 1941-D, 1942(2), 1946(3), 1946-D, 1947, 1948-D(2), 1948-S, 1952, 1952-S, 1953, 1953-D(2), 1954-D, 1955-D(2), 1956-D(2), 1957, 1957-D(6), 1958-D(5), 1959-D(2))

The 1947 is in AU.

18 Canadian (1962, 1966, 1976, 1977, 1979(2), 1980, 1985(2), 1986(3), 1987, 1988, 1989, 1996, 1998, 2001)

2 Foreign
Guatemala, 10 Centavos (1995)
Yugoslavia, 1 Novi Dinar (1996)

Oh and 1 - 1936 Buffalo nickel.

I was glad this week was a light week for pickups as I am way behind on pennies from the past few weeks. I ended up getting invited on an all expenses paid fishing trip to Canada this past weekend through a friend. It was a prepaid trip that was otherwise going to go to waste. He asked Thursday. We left Friday and got back after midnight Sunday. Fun trip, but because of the trip I now have approximately $450 in pennies left from previous weeks to go through plus what I just picked up today. Gonna be a busy week.

The place was essentially out in the boonies and it was a weekend so didn't get a chance to to pick up any Canadian coinage while there...well almost none. I did pick up a 1955 Canadian penny from the take-a-penny cup at one place, but that's it.
 
Upvote 0
Just finished the $500 bag of dimes.

In it I found my 2nd Merc of the year (1942) and 1 silver roosie (1957-D)

Also got
7 Canadian (1968 Nickel, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1987(2), 1999)

1 Foreign
Great Britain, 5 New Pence (1996)

and 1 Penny

Interestingly just like last week, both silver coins came in the same handful from the bag.
 
Congratulations on the Merc. that is very cool - and on the Buffalo. I have a theory that there are lot of Buffaloes out there these days because of the new nickel designs (people no longer notice a coin with a Buffalo on the back). What do others think? I've found seven so far in 5 weeks. Two in one box.

Brian
 
kestrelia said:
Congratulations on the Merc. that is very cool - and on the Buffalo. I have a theory that there are lot of Buffaloes out there these days because of the new nickel designs (people no longer notice a coin with a Buffalo on the back). What do others think? I've found seven so far in 5 weeks. Two in one box.

Brian

I've only found 8 for the year (out of 134379 nickels, equivalent to rougly 67 boxes), you have one (or more) of three things going for you:
1. a good area to search
2. have gone through a ton of nickels
3. are extremely lucky



Well finished one of the $50 bags of pennies
14 wheat pennies (1935, 1935-D, 1938, 1944-D(2), 1945, 1945-D, 1946-D, 1947-D, 1950-D, 1952-D, 1953-D, 1955, 1957-D)

25 Canadian (1968, 1972, 1975, 1976(2), 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1999(2), 2000, 2001, 2002(2), 2005(2), 2006)

2 Gold-Plated? Pennies (either that or made from wrong metal)

1 play money penny

1 necklace trinket (says "Brian" on one side and "12-19-'57" on the other)

This bag was from the same branch as the one I found the merc and the buffalo (as is the $25 bag that I will be doing next).
 
$625 in pennies to search... makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it. That's 25 boxes!

Nice dime and nickel finds. 1948-S looks to be one of the rarer Jeffersons at only 11.3 million.

Brian, I had the same thought yesterday when I found my 1936 Buffalo. It fell face down along with two 2005's from a roll and I easily could have missed it were I not in the process of searching the coins. Of course, the other side is hard to mistake, and obviously most buffaloes were gone from circulation by 2005 when the new ones came out anyway. Can't hurt though.
 
Went through the $25 bag of pennies....bleh..

4 wheat pennies (1944-D, 1945, 1946, 1951-D)

11 Canadian (1964, 1972, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2004-P)

1 Foreign
South Africa, 1 Cent (1975)


Wes_ said:
$625 in pennies to search... makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it. That's 25 boxes!

Down to $550.
 
Gman---please be careful searching the pennies. No one knows what kind of effects searching that many pennies will have on your eyes or your sanity. Pace yourself. You're a great contributor to this forum, and we don't want to lose you. ;D And oh yeah, good luck. Searching that many pennies will surely yield some interesting finds.
 
fiatboy said:
Gman---please be careful searching the pennies. No one knows what kind of effects searching that many pennies will have on your eyes or your sanity. Pace yourself. You're a great contributor to this forum, and we don't want to lose you. ;D And oh yeah, good luck. Searching that many pennies will surely yield some interesting finds.

hmm....you must not have been reading my posts this year..... ;) I've already searched over 5 times that many pennies.... this is just a drop in the bucket. Mainly behind due to being out of town for a long weekend.

Got done with one of the $50 bags so far tonight. Not great totals, but the ones that were there were pretty good.

1 - 1921-S
1 - 1943 Steel Penny
and 12 other wheat pennies (1920, 1940-D, 1944-D, 1945, 1946-D, 1947-S, 1950-S, 1953-D, 1955-D, 1957-D(3))

22 Canadian (1963(2), 1964, 1966, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979(2), 1981(2), 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2000)
 
GMan00001 said:
but the ones that were there were pretty good.
1 - 1921-S
1 - 1943 Steel Penny

I guess so! Very cool.
 
Last $50 of pennies in this bunch had...

19 wheat pennies (1940-D, 1941-D, 1944, 1944-D, 1945, 1946, 1946-D, 1948-D, 1949-D, 1951-D, 1953-S, 1954-D(3), 1955-D, 1956-D(2), 1958-D(2))

27 Canadian (1964, 1966, 1967(2), 1969, 1970, 1973(2), 1974, 1978(2), 1981, 1982, 1983(3), 1986, 1987(2), 1989, 1994, 1996, 1998(2), 1999, 2001, 2006)

2 Foreign
Barbados, 1 Cent (1987)
Germany, 2 Euro Cent (2002-J)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom