What's new

Tumblers?

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
1,941
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally posted this in cleaning and preservation, but clearly that section of the forum does not get the same amount of traffic as this section.

I am looking for a decent tumbler to clean my clad in. I am looking for something that will be able to clean, say 100 coins at a time, maybe more. I don't know anything about tumblers, besides just googling them. Ideally I wouldn't want to spend more than $50 on one, but can dish out up to $75 for one.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unless somoene has a better way of cleaning a bunch of clad at once. :icon_scratch:

Thanks again and HH! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks MM!
 
Here are two other options for you in case you're a cheapskate like me :tongue3:

Michael's craft stores have a small rock tumbler that retails for about $25. They usually put a 40% off any one item coupon in their ads, too.

I bought one of those, but I also made one out of an old cordless drill. I didn't have any good batteries left for it, but I hung on to it just in case. Now I'm glad I did.

I run it off of a battery charger. Any method you can come up with that will turn an irregularly shaped container will work. I didn't want to buy aquarium gravel, so I use some pea gravel I have on hand and a little bit of sand. I use the homemade one all the time now, and the one I bought sits on the shelf.

Tumbler.webp

It's ugly, but it works just as well as the store-bought one. I keep it in the garage and get a sense of satisfation every time I use it. Good luck!
 
Thanks Kimsdad!
Looks like I know what to do w/ that "useless" cordless drill I have laying around, and it gives me something to make. I wonder what the GF will say once she sees that contraption ;D
 
Put a little ammonia in with the dish soap works great.
 
kimsdad said:
Here are two other options for you in case you're a cheapskate like me :tongue3:

Michael's craft stores have a small rock tumbler that retails for about $25. They usually put a 40% off any one item coupon in their ads, too.

I bought one of those, but I also made one out of an old cordless drill. I didn't have any good batteries left for it, but I hung on to it just in case. Now I'm glad I did.

I run it off of a battery charger. Any method you can come up with that will turn an irregularly shaped container will work. I didn't want to buy aquarium gravel, so I use some pea gravel I have on hand and a little bit of sand. I use the homemade one all the time now, and the one I bought sits on the shelf.




It's ugly, but it works just as well as the store-bought one. I keep it in the garage and get a sense of satisfation every time I use it. Good luck!

Now that is using your koggin!
 
Here's a pic of mine. Works great!
 

Attachments

  • tumbler.webp
    tumbler.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 386
  • tumbler.webp
    tumbler.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 384
mick56 said:
Here's a pic of mine. Works great!

Is that an upside down dolly? THe wheels are supporting the can, right? Another neat idea. I wonder how many hom-made tumblers are out there.
 
Here's mine.
Quarts of Behr paint come in plastic containers.
Hooked it up to a rotissery motor i had laying around.
It works great.
 
Sorry forgot pic.
 

Attachments

  • metal detecting002.webp
    metal detecting002.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 369
I built this one

Can do hundreds of coins at a time
 

Attachments

  • tumbler 4 pics.webp
    tumbler 4 pics.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 342
  • tumbler 4 pics.webp
    tumbler 4 pics.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 336
Hey SilverBob, that is one heck of a tumbler you have there.
That should get the job done!
You could also do your laundry in there in case your washing machine every goes out. Ha! Ha!

HH
Dirtdiver
 
relichunters said:
Umm... Wouldn't a rock tumbler damage the coins?
Hi Relichunters! Tumbling is only for clad coins that are to be turned back in to the bank. I do use it for non-key wheats, too.

Nice compact design, Dirtdiver! Looks great! :thumbsup:


Now that's some rude, crude power, Bob!! :thumbsup:

Hey, how does the missus like it anyway, when you set that beauty up on her washer & dryer? :tard: ;D
 
kimsdad said:
relichunters said:
Umm... Wouldn't a rock tumbler damage the coins?
Hi Relichunters! Tumbling is only for clad coins that are to be turned back in to the bank. I do use it for non-key wheats, too.

Oh alright
 
I have a 1.5 pound tumbler, paid about $65.00 with shipping. HH, Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom