Turkeyrtail, Dalton, & Big Pink Ledbetter Point from our last 2 Hunts at River Site

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turkeyrtail, Dalton, & Big Pink Ledbetter Point from our last 2 Hunts at River Site

After our last artifact hunt in late June, we have had a lot of rainfall preventing Steve & I from returning to the Cumberland River bottom planted in Burley tobacco. The heavy rains had eroded the high points in the Native American village even more than we expected. We made an afternoon hunt on July 11. I found the 3.25 in. long pink Ledbetter point shown in the pic. That artifact dates to 3,500-6,000 years old. Steve eyeballed a Dalton point dating from 9,200-10,000 years old but it had an ear broken off the base. Our finds from the July 11 hunt are shown in the pic on the blue background.
We returned to the site on July 13 which just happened to be Steve’s birthday. He was rewarded with the find of the day with a perfect Turkeytail point dating from 2,500-4,000 years old. I found a nice stemmed point and a small Woodland era point that have been few and far between at this site. Our finds from yesterday’s hunt are shown on the beige background and I attached a pic of Steve’s Turkeytail point. This will be our last hunt at this site this year. Thanks to Tnmountains for his expertise in identifying the Ledbetter point. Enjoy the video, Q.

Attachments

• DSCN2066.JPG
    DSCN2066.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN2071.JPG
    DSCN2071.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
  • DSCN2091.JPG
    DSCN2091.JPG
    716.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN2090.JPG
    DSCN2090.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Upvote 29

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an awesome hunt, congratulations. I used to find points on my Grandfathers farm when I was a kid. They don't plow as deep any more, so the finds have dried up. Hard to find places anymore, but I still look.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go fellas the rain held out for you guys..Nice pile of early Artifacts!

~Blaze

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some awesome saves from your domain once again! That small one with the irregular base is just killer! I've found points like your "turkeytail" point when I used to hunt in northern Ky. I always called them Adena points. I do have a couple turkeytail points from my time there, a broken one, and one that looks slightly unfinished on one side. Have one that I traded a bannerstone for. Eye candy for someone deeply into folks who go bonkers over exquisite Indian artifacts.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of artifacts guys! The way they plant that tobacco leaves a lot of bare ground between the plants. Surprising though that the weeds haven't moved into those bare spots.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt! You found some very old historical items, congratulations! :notworthy:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome points man

I find one from time to time. They are amazing peices of work. I could search for them all day

HH Jer

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of artifacts guys! The way they plant that tobacco leaves a lot of bare ground between the plants. Surprising though that the weeds haven't moved into those bare spots.
Thanks Steve. The land is sprayed with a pre-emergence weed killer before tobacco is transplanted. HH, Q.

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I have never found any points .. Hopefully one day !! Thanks for the video and pics !!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Good job Quindy......Glad to see you and Steve still finding a lot of points at that place. Love the PINK color of that one point that you found....kinda reminds me of Dman.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Quindy and Steve on another successful Native American hunt! You two have found some beautiful pieces of history. :thumbsup: The song by Paul Revere & the Raiders took me back a few years; great selection for the video. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Steve! Quindy you've got one coming up soon, so HAPPY early BIRTHDAY to you too!

:)
Breezie

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great day. Congrats on some awesome history.

HH RN

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are killing it! How those stone tools lasted so long with out being broke always amazes me. You both did really well. Hope you get to hunt it again and save some long lost history.
Thanks for sharing!
HH
TnMtns

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds, congratulations you guys. It is truly amazing to find something 9,000 years old in such great shape. Sub 8-)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SfHsrT0yL2k/ToKGbPGR_kI/AAAAAAAAAt4/TrLGEdKtbw0/s1600/Hoe.jpg

This is how they controlled the weeds when I was growing up8-)'
Great finds Mr Q. Been awhile since I was in a " 'baccer patch ". Can't say I miss it either. We both know the sweat and hard work that goes into something that just gets burned up.
I remember seeing pieces of pink flint along the Cumberland in Kentucky too. From what I understand, different colors were traded among the natives? Some wound up there from even as far away as Michigan?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice points Quindy and Steve. Always like to see your pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread