Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
haha TT!!!

Here Mike, see if this helps. It looks better from where I originally spotted it, but had to get close to get photos. It's about 14' tall at the peak I guess. You'll notice the face and "legs" are of darker stone than the rest of the rock. That's what stuck out at me, plus the "eyes".

Attachments

• Turtle-edited.jpg
    Turtle-edited.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 780
OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possibly!

Any other thoughts?

kaloy

Aug 21, 2005
Detector(s) used
gemini 3, TM 808
considering that it was a turtle, the treasure was caved in beneath it.

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kaloy said:
considering that it was a turtle, the treasure was caved in beneath it.

Well that would be interesting considering the huge slab of bedrock/rock under the turtle...

you guys are funny! ;D

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Inverted colors; what do you see now? I see hearts, legs, eyes x's and squiggles.

By the River

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 709
OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well that's a new look on things. Wonder if the Spanish had inverted eye site :o :o

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
LOL!!

If it's large and meant-to-be-something, then it should be noticeable from at least one or two points a good distance away. How far? I have no idea, but if there are any other high points, say within a quarter-to-half-mile away, I'd take a walk and a gander to see what it looks like from those points. I'd also be looking for old wagon roads/horse trails within a half-mile circumference.

Cavers5

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, there's a hill across the canyon, which is where I initially saw it, looking into a mine shaft ;D

There is an old trail nearby. The Dutchmans trail from First Water in the Superstitions is about 100' or so North of the turtle.

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. I was just wondering what everyone thought of the "turtle".

I don't think the mine has anything to do with it to be honest, it was dug way later. Who knows though...

I gotta get out there one of these days and look around some more.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Randy, its a monument for sure, possible trails shown in different directions, main Mission direction may be toward the direction the head is pointing, I have been trying to get someone to measure the distance between monument and Mission but sofar not one answer, possible deadly trail, no water, turtle to me indicates slow,and long trail carry plenty of supplies, the distance could be as far as 25 miles ( 2.5 leagues X 10 ) . Thats just my guess, I think they used a Mission as a hub and started in a predetermened direction where they had mines and at that point the trails seperated into different directions / distances to the mines / trails. from there you should be able to pick up trail markers, chesk from where the tail points to other monuments 25 miles away. Its really not that complicated. If I don't get any information back to verfiy what I think they represent then I will go the way of lost horse and other, its your call

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread