Tweezers?

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are these? Are they tweezers? Can the damage at the 'head' be removed while keeping its' antique look? Where might they be from?
20190309_234300.jpg 20190309_234320.jpg 20190309_234329.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a vintage pair of kitchen or BBQ tongs to me.

(Chicken Design)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't remember what they're called but it looks like what grandma had minus a star shaped wheel. When sewing you'd put a paper pattern over the material roll it along leaving perforations. Then you'd rub a chalk bag over. You could re-use the pattern after. One pattern = shirts for all five or six boys. Dang can't remember what they're called...........

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't remember what they're called but it looks like what grandma had minus a star shaped wheel. When sewing you'd put a paper pattern over the material roll it along leaving perforations. Then you'd rub a chalk bag over. You could re-use the pattern after. One pattern = shirts for all five or six boys. Dang can't remember what they're called...........

You Thinking of a Tracing Wheel ?

index.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

My first thought was the inner works of an old weight scale, but boogeyman's suggestion makes more sense.
The 'handle' portion looks too uncomfortable to be used as a tool and what's with the 'sliding portion' at the top? :dontknow:

You also have galvanized parts mixed in there, so now I'm thinking early 20thc in date.
Dave

β€˜Galvanizing’ History

β€œGalvanization or galvanizing is the process of applying a protective zinc coating to steel or iron, to prevent rusting. The most common method is hot-dip galvanizing, in which the parts are submerged in a bath of molten zinc. In 1742, a chemist named Melouin presented a paper to the French Royal Academy in which he described how a zinc coating could be obtained on iron by dipping it in molten zinc. Interest in Melouin’s discovery spread quickly through scientific circles and the first application was to use molten zinc as a cheap protective coating for household utensils. These products were well known in parts of France during the second half of the 18th century.

In 1780, an Italian, Luigi Galvani, discovered the electrical phenomenon of the twitching of a frog’s leg muscles when contacted by two dissimilar metals, namely copper and iron. Galvani incorrectly concluded that the source of the electricity was in the frog’s leg. The term β€˜galvanization’ began to appear in the lexicon, connected partly to the work carried out by Michael Faraday.

In 1824, Sir Humphrey Davy showed that when two dissimilar metals were connected electrically and immersed in water, the corrosion of one was accelerated while the other received a degree of protection. From this work he suggested that the copper bottoms of wooden naval ships (the earliest example of practical cathodic protection) could be protected by attaching iron or zinc plates to them. When wooden hulls were superseded by iron and steel, zinc anodes were still used.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was a pounce wheel, why would the handle open?

The 'head' is in the opposite end of where the locking mechanism is, so if this was a pounce wheel, there is nothing to hold the wheel in place.

I do not think this was a pounce wheel.

The triangular loop on the end suggests that this would have been hung from a hook, like a kitchen tool.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is it would work well for flipping steaks. I noticed how the tong parts are able to slide up and down to adjust plus with the thing on the end to hang up on a hook I would guess kitchen utensil of some sort. Just my uneducated guess.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190309_234300 - Copy.jpg The head looks too much like a Chicken
to just be a part of a Machine imo.

the Feather or Chicken Skin Design looks Stamped, but not by Machine.
20190309_234300.jpg

the Hanger Definitely is for Hanging
in a Kitchen, or on a BBQ or ??
20190309_234300 - Copy (2).jpg

But it's a Little Awkward to Have that Wire Poking out the Top.
I think a Manufacturer Would have done away with the Poker.
[of course in the Olden Days Safety was never an Issue, with Less Lawyers,
& less Reporters scrambling for stories.]

20190309_234329.jpg

unless of course that was it's intended Purpose.
To test Tenderness of Stakes & in My case,
Make sure the cow doesn't moo,
but Still Bleeds.
and the Chicken Doesn't.

I'm wondering if it was a School Or Handyman Project.

At least That's my Reasoning

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny it does look like a Chicken I could see me or one of my friends making something like that in our high school daze!!!pun intended. Im surprised it hasnt been given an ID Ive seen stuff hit by lawn mowers a little bent hot wheel axle get and Id The bottom part of a 1920 razor hit by a hammer and half rusted get an ID. I seriously would love to have a sunday night what is it contest everyone send an item via pm to one person or 2 ,People could send their guesses and do it from say 7 to 10 oclock and the one who guessed the most right would win!!!! We could find stuff from old posts that never got an ID also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roach clips those would be called Cheech and tongs lol sorry

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like Hookah Tongs May be Correct.

Similar. Yours still looks Homemade or Much Older though

000ho.jpg

I've never heard of Hookah Tongs before today

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paulb104

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is it would work well for flipping steaks. I noticed how the tong parts are able to slide up and down to adjust plus with the thing on the end to hang up on a hook I would guess kitchen utensil of some sort. Just my uneducated guess.

At four inches it's too short to flip steaks, plus I think the metal (brass?) is too flexible.

Seriously though, if you want to flip a steak, the absolute best tool is a pig tail! Pig Tail Food Flipper, Set of 2

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread