Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug two of these tokens tonight at a 1920 house, and boy did they look like big silver coming out of the hole (they're about half-dollar size)! They're good for 12 sticks of monobel, which I assume must have been some kind of gum or something from their company store. Upon further inspection, it seems that monobel is some kind of explosive for use in coal mines! Consolidation Coal changed to Consol Energy in 1991, so they're dated somewhere in the early part of the 1900s I'm assuming. Nearby to the first token I found a Lady Esther makeup tin. It's in good shape, but I can't open it. Lady Esther changed the company name slightly in 1922 so this dates somewhere between 1913 and 1922.

Attachments

• makeup.jpg
    makeup.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 107
  • consolidation coal token.JPG
    consolidation coal token.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 8

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! I don't have a copy of David Schenkman's Explosive Control Tokens book, and I don't see this token listed in his WV Trade Tokens book. I'm going to send him an e-mail and will let you know what he says. Please consider posting the Two Lick token pictures on tokencatalog.com (or I could do it with your permission).
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IdahoTokens: Go for it - I never seem to have any luck posting to that site!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave Schenkman tells me that he did not know of this token when he wrote the catalog of explosive control tokens, but since then he had obtained one of these and knows of one (now three) others. I'll post the pics on tokencatalog.com. It is aluminum, I presume? And what is the diameter?
John

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave Schenkman tells me that he did not know of this token when he wrote the catalog of explosive control tokens, but since then he had obtained one of these and knows of one (now three) others. I'll post the pics on tokencatalog.com. It is aluminum, I presume? And what is the diameter?
John
Well that's cool then. I got these about half an hour apart on opposite ends of a big yard....I wonder if there are more there somewhere? It is aluminum - I'll have to wait til I get home tonight to get you a diameter though. Need anything else for the entry?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Two Lick, West Virginia, U.S.A. [CA1]
T_IMAGE_OBV_306314.jpg
T_IMAGE_REV_306314.jpg

Unlisted
AR?

[CA1]
THE CONSOLIDATION COAL CO. / INCORPORATED / TWO LICK / STORE
GOOD FOR / 12 / STICKS / MONOBEL / FOR USE OF EMPLOYEES
TC-450978 *** Image courtesy of and collection of TrpnBils in e. WV

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
35mm diameter

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Coal tokens are on my bucket list. I live in an old mining town and keep hoping some day...

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on those cool tokens!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Coal tokens are on my bucket list. I live in an old mining town and keep hoping some day...

That's why it surprised me to find these here...I DON'T live in a coal town! It's in West Virginia, which is basically an entire coal state, but we're over in the panhandle next to Washington DC and Baltimore. They actually mine sand in my town. I did find another coal miner's ID tag up in PA last year which was pretty interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread