Two annoying things with beach detecting

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1) People yelling "beep beep beep", as if that is going to throw you off.......I have seen this other places too, parks, but its amazing people will go out of their way to make themselves look like fools in such crowded places.

2) People that throw money on the ground in front of me. I get people toss a random coin in my path. I have not yet detected these and picked them, because I don't want the "Hey thats mine" to come after I pick it up. Not like I am a dog trying to get biscuits, the whole point is finding stuff not being handed it........not sure how others feel about this.

Honestly I don't mind being asked "Did you find anything", I like to talk to people and especially those that are friendly and genuinely interested. People will ask questions about what does it cost, etc, those I don't mind.

Upvote 0

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do I say? I say "kid get back, nobody touches my detector but me!"

I say, " watch out bud, you don't want to get too close...you might get electrocuted" in a very nice way. 9/10 times the kids back away. You get that one kid once in a while (adrenaline junkie I guess) that doesn't care what you say and gets even closer.... I think he's trying to call my bluff. I chuckle to myself, think to myself (kids got b*@ls), and go into deep enough water where he won't venture to. Usually that solves the problem.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I have yet the need to deal with the beep beep folks, or maybe never heard them.

I would probably, time it good and when the person beeps, fake a hit, dig a small hole and pretend I got a huge score.

Agreed, there have been some rude folks detecting while I've been at the beach also. Not sure of a good solution, if one even exists.

PK

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has the right to enjoy the public beaches (within the limits of the laws) in their own way.....be it detectorists or beach goers. It just seems like some people will always manage to push aside the boundary of common courtesy and become disrespectful to other people's right to enjoy the beach...and it is happening all across the country....just sayin'
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you what annoys me.. Nimrods that have no common sense and metal detect crowded beaches. Can you even imagine sitting there with your wife and kids, and some nimrod with a metal detector waddles up right next to your blanket swinging away? I would probably say something like,"Hey you flipping so-n-so, there is about 30-miles of beach, think I can use this 20-feet?" Seriously people, if you don't have enough common sense to hit the beach early morning or early evening when the crowds are still at home then I think you reap what you sow..

Well while I don't detect the beach during the day time crowds, I have had this exact same thing happen at 2am on Myrtle Beach. Their is a group of people mostly teenagers roaming around and going on with the smart @$$ comments. So time of the day is not a factor here. Also while I personally think its bad for the hobby to be swinging through a crowded beach, what gives you or me the right to say how someone enjoys the beach?? You say you like to lay there with your wife and thats fine but the guy with the MD may have to work during more favorable times and he pays taxes just like you and your wife so if he wants to MD at 12 noon on the 4th of July on the beach thats pretty much his business.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Originally Posted by Terry Soloman "I'll tell you what annoys me.. Nimrods that have no common sense and metal detect crowded beaches. Can you even imagine sitting there with your wife and kids, and some nimrod with a metal detector waddles up right next to your blanket swinging away? I would probably say something like,"Hey you flipping so-n-so, there is about 30-miles of beach, think I can use this 20-feet?" Seriously people, if you don't have enough common sense to hit the beach early morning or early evening when the crowds are still at home then I think you reap what you sow.."

Well while I don't detect the beach during the day time crowds, I have had this exact same thing happen at 2am on Myrtle Beach. Their is a group of people mostly teenagers roaming around and going on with the smart @$$ comments. So time of the day is not a factor here. Also while I personally think its bad for the hobby to be swinging through a crowded beach, what gives you or me the right to say how someone enjoys the beach?? You say you like to lay there with your wife and thats fine but the guy with the MD may have to work during more favorable times and he pays taxes just like you and your wife so if he wants to MD at 12 noon on the 4th of July on the beach thats pretty much his business.

Hey Captain! I gave MY OPINION. Being an American, and having put my life on the line for it, gives me the right to express it. I'm NOT telling you - or my fellow hobbyists, what to do or when to do it, I'm telling you what I think. By the way, I think if you are out on Myrtle Beach at 2am, and don't expect to find trouble with drunk teenagers and 20-somethings in your scoop, then you are just kidding yourself.

Time of day is a huge factor. I'll give you a solid, factual example. There are so many newbies swinging their new purple Coinmasters through the crowds at Jones Beach on Long Island, that complaints to the Park Police are up 700-percent. We pay $40.00 annually for our permit to hunt the State Park beaches on Long Island, so we certainly have "the right," to be there any time we want. However, the Whites dealer on Long Island is so busy pumping out "Barney" machines, that he keeps forgetting to explain OUR code of ethics to the newbies he is fleecing. He has been telling new guys and gals to, "Go when it's crowded." The Park Police are now writing the $165.00 tickets to nimrods without a permit like NEVER before. They are checking our permits (they also demand a photo ID) like NEVER before. There is already talk of limiting our hunting hours out there.

I have a theory about hobbyists that hunt in crowds of people. They are attention seekers. They want to be engaged. Old hands for the most part (yes, there are always exceptions), try and hunt when everyone is still in bed, or has packed up and gone home. We Americans have the right to ruin it all for everyone, the right to be stupid, and the right to our beliefs. That means I have the right to believe folks who hunt at the most crowded times of the day on a beach, or in a public park, should be approached and chastised for being stupid.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or..Just as people who approached us as we are detecting in the middle of the day should be told to mind their own business since we also have been under fire, pay thousands in local and state taxes, pump tens of thousands of dollars into the local economy year after year and have as much right to be there if not more than any tourist and if they don't like to see us there the can stay home for all we care as we don't really like to see them there in their loud shorts, ugly shirts, black socks and sandals throwing trash all over OUR beaches.

We are going to hunt out beaches in our towns and our states when ever we feel like it as is our right as Americans and residents for generations.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When children get too close I usually tell them that my scoop is very sharp and will chop their toes off if they're not careful. They usually backup pretty quick.
DC

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea you run into people like that once in awhile, i had one he kept yelling hey you, i could hear him but kept walking, he came running and got right in front of me and he said can't you hear me, nad i pulled of my headphones and said what you say, he said i kept saying hey you, i said that's why i got these headphones on so i don't hear people like you, boy he was mad and walked away, i could barely hear him but didn't want to, that is how i straighten out some of these people that think we are dummies. HH

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like we need a Tee shirt...... DONT ASK QUESTIONS AND I WONT KICK YOUR BUTT.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread