fender346

Feb 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
explorer se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody!
Thanks again for sharing all of your finds here, a great information resource.

I finally made it back to the a stretch of riverbank here in Southeastern PA that produced some cool finds last month.
I originally posted this round ball along with some other stuff I found along the bank.

Today I found the larger stone nearby...
It's about 12" x 10" and flat on the bottom. The indentation is about 1 1/2" deep at its lowest point and seems to be uniformly worn down to the center.
I'm hoping it may be a mortar stone of some sort associated with the ball.
Can anyone provide any insight, thanks.

167.JPG

155.JPG
159.JPG
162.JPG

Upvote 0
I dont know if they had anvil type of stones around here or not. Thats a interesting artifact charl.

rock, since the type of anvilstones I showed were likely used for lithic bipolar reduction, then they will be found throughout NA.

Here's another pitted stone. Strange one. Pits on 2 faces and 2 sides. Sandstone. Note that the pitted stones I showed have pits created by usage. Gator, the beautiful example you showed with smooth well made depressions have been interpreted as nutting stones in the past. In other words, suitable size depressions worked in to accommodate different size nuts. The pits wrote created before hand and were not the result of usage. All this said, we are likely missing something where these various stones with pits and depressions are concerned. They are artifacts though, so we collect em. A certain percentage are just water worn rocks where softer material has eroding out by way of swirling water. Often found in streams, these are often simply natural.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 59
Nutting stones are also sometimes called cupstones. Cupules, BTW, are a very common element in rock art, especially associated with the Megalithic ruins of Europe and the Near East, but quite common in some of our western states as well...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 57
Well that might shed some light on this I found before summer. Its 2.5 square on all faces. Its made from flint which has been pecked into a cubic shape. I have had it looked at by a person in charge of the area in artifacts. He called it a "cubic nutting stone". I dont doubt it is a artifact but I have been thinking why use it to crack nuts when any rock would due to crack nuts with. Why take the time to make it square just for nuts? Ill let you see it and it does have a indentation on every face except for one. The darker side is the most dented. Let me know what you think, rock

Attachments

• 100_3204.JPG
    100_3204.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3200.JPG
    100_3200.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3202.JPG
    100_3202.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_3205.JPG
    100_3205.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 68
That's not Flint.
You can't "peck" Flint into shape either.
Just pointing that out.
That is a sedimentary rock...rock.

Last edited:
I guess i should of said @ charl. Well I know its square. I cant remember if he said the type of material it was. He just said cubic nutting stone.

I guess i should of said @ charl. Well I know its square. I cant remember if he said the type of material it was. He just said cubic nutting stone.

Yours is not flint....the one in your hand....just trying to help you learn material. and this isn't a private chat between you and @ Charl.

Last edited:
Yours is not flint....the one in your hand....just trying to help you learn material. and this isn't a private chat between you and @ Charl.

lol ok. You can be silly sometimes. I made a simple mistake on the type of stone. He did say it was pecked into shape though. I know its heavy like flint. W
hat type other than sediment do you think it might be? Sediment here isnt that heavy and is a different texture. @ GB

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back