What's new

Two blank coppers in need of Identification...and a 1902 IHC

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE: ONE OF THE COPPERS IS A 1801 DRAPED BUST!

I've been blessed with a long run of identifiable old coppers. The last one being an awesome King William 3rd 1696. Well that run of luck is over and I got blanked twice this wknd. I went for a two hour jaunt with a buddy of mine Kevin (aka NJGarrett). He and I scoured my old colonial site in hopes of a bit of luck. My first target was a 1902 IH...a nice start. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380158.540904.webp About two hours go by and I get a faint and choppy 12-45, with some swings going down to 12-44/43. I dg down, pry our two giant rocks on top, and out pops a Greenie. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380240.583452.webpit was about 8-9" down judging from my pointerImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380282.072342.webp I clean it up and I'm quite puzzled. A few friends think it's Hibernia, which came from separate sources who don't know each other and without my mentioning it. Kevin thinks he sees a "36". Let me know what you think...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380387.843306.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380405.412188.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380443.616035.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434380471.852698.webp The second is definitely a KG. I got it local on a 1 hour hunt yesterday along with a '41 Merc. I can see the chariot wheel. Other than that my guess would be a KG (1st)

Updated pics!

I did everything to a copper that should never be done. It was toasted anyway so I said what the heck. I cringed as I used an SOS pad and then sandpaper. But then I saw the bust! Then knew where the date was, used an SOS again and saw the 8! Bingo. 1801. It's great because I have found 1802-1805. It's bad because I have zero draped busts from the 1700's...but I am in no way complaining.
 

Attachments

  • image-2149208695.webp
    image-2149208695.webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-876869357.webp
    image-876869357.webp
    124.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image-134566468.webp
    image-134566468.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 16
HEY SCRAPPY DO I SEE YOU ARE AT IT AGAIN TOO. INDIAN HEAD AND KG FIND, COULD YOU CLEAN THE G UP FOR I AM BLIND.NICE.......ZUTPHEN
 
Lol. I realized I only posted pics of the first coin and I have none of the second. I blew it! I'll post some when I get home later
 
Due to condition and you wanting to know for sure what you have, brass brush time if you want to. Do not think the second is a KGI, they usually never look that bad! :) If you want, try a pink eraser to see if any details get enhanced.. ADDED: No wonder it did not look like a KGI since the photo was not there!:)
 
Last edited:
Probly just a chain cent, no big deal lol

Great finds!
 
Nice double LC mystery, at lest the IH is good! Congrats! If it was all gravy it would get boring.
 
I've used fine grit sandpaper to gently go over unrecognisable coppers like those and was able to see enough to know what they were, and occasionally even get a date. That would be the last resort of course.
 
Due to condition and you wanting to know for sure what you have, brass brush time if you want to. Do not think the second is a KGI, they usually never look that bad! :) If you want, try a pink eraser to see if any details get enhanced.. ADDED: No wonder it did not look like a KGI since the photo was not there!:)

Thanks for the tips Don. I'll try the brush and eraser.

Even though this site was supposedly not farmed, most of the coppers from this area of the site have been toasted, which makes me think of fertilizer. So it makes me wonder if this section of the 5 acre site was farmed.

Steve
 
Probly just a chain cent, no big deal lol

Great finds!

It's heavy and thick like a LCImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434385274.984831.webp but the edge just doesn't scream US copper
 
I've used fine grit sandpaper to gently go over unrecognisable coppers like those and was able to see enough to know what they were, and occasionally even get a date. That would be the last resort of course.

Sounds like a plan if Don's tips don't work. Too bad I used all of my copper karma on this find last week...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434385467.818842.webp
 
That actually looks more like a William III halfpenny..... whoops.. I didnt read the post that that was last weeks find. Nice copper.
 
Scrappy, i think your posts are just awesome. Wish I could hunt with you sometime.
 
Here is the other one. It's a British copper but can anyone see something else?
 

Attachments

  • image-1258258656.webp
    image-1258258656.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image-123879262.webp
    image-123879262.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 128
That actually looks more like a William III halfpenny..... whoops.. I didnt read the post that that was last weeks find. Nice copper.
lol. If all of them would only be that nice...
 
I know I'm probably gonna catch hell for this, but what works well for me when trying to identify roached coppers is....wait for it....and SOS pad. Yep, wet it and lightly scrub. Takes all of the patina off the coin, and I use it as a.last resort. First, I use a toothpick. If that doesn't work, I'll try peroxide. No luck there?...SOS pad. I had coins that have sat in the crap box for the past couple of years because they were completely blank, but after an SOS pad scrub, they made it to the display case!
 
I know I'm probably gonna catch hell for this, but what works well for me when trying to identify roached coppers is....wait for it....and SOS pad. Yep, wet it and lightly scrub. Takes all of the patina off the coin, and I use it as a.last resort. First, I use a toothpick. If that doesn't work, I'll try peroxide. No luck there?...SOS pad. I had coins that have sat in the crap box for the past couple of years because they were completely blank, but after an SOS pad scrub, they made it to the display case!

Ok, thanks for the tip. So a cleaning recap for the entire thread...If a wire brush does not work, I'll try and SOS pad, then sandpaper. Lol

I bet the SOS pad works wonders when I think about it...roached coppers only with no hope.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom