What's new

Two boxes today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
I got two boxes of Brinks today. Got 1 1945 D Walker. It was showing on an end when I opened the first box. I thought I was gonna score big. Nothing else to find.

P.S. I am thinking of converting some of my silver into gold. I am about 50/50 value wise gold/silver now. I know there are many logical arguments why silver should outperform gold in the future: industrial use, supply is greatly depleted over time, less above ground silver then gold, poor man's gold, etc, etc. But I gotta say, my gold holdings are pretty much all in the black at this level, some of my silver purchases are in the red if I sold today. My gold has held its value far better than silver (I was buying silver when it was 18-19), as well as when it was 10-11 per ounce. I am thinking about converting my junk silver and my less favorite silver bullion pieces into gold.

Also, I know many are anxiously awaiting silver to hit 30, 40, etc to sell. I spoke to one of my coin dealers who was in the business back in 1980. He said that when silver was up like that the dealers were not paying anywhere near spot when you sold. He said he remembered paying mid 30s when silver hit 50, because the refiners were not paying the dealers spot.

Any thoughts or opinions on trading silver for gold would be appreciated.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Jim,

You probably know more about PM's than me but I do remember when silver hit fifty bucks an ounce and reading the adds from reputable coin dealers. One in particular that sticks in my mind was a photo of a mercury dime with the add saying "up to .90 cents per dime". Of course that was a big rip-off,but then a silver dime,quarters and even half dollars was not that uncommon at the time. I sold a bunch of silver at that time and was quite pleased with what I got. Nearly 30 years later folks are a bit more aware of the value.

From what I read from the so called experts and I'm sure you read as well that a 50/50 ratio is the best way to go. I'd like to get there myself but it would mean selling some silver.
I suppose if I were going to sell off my silver to purchase gold I would start with my 40% halves all of whch I collected during the course of coin roll hunting. I don't have many but I'd get rid of war nickels,40% Ikes,and 50% Canadians as well.
As far as buying gold, personally I prefer coin. Whatever coin gives the most gold for the money. With a bad economy I don't see the premiums holding up on the bullion coins. I guess the best deal is on the restrikes.
I'm not a coin collector so I can't say what will happen to the value of rare/old gold coins. Myself I would stay away from them for now.

One other thing,if I had them (which I don't) I'd dump silver bars,and rounds as well.

Just my opinion not based on any expertise.

Rich
 
Don't forget Palladium and Platinum...
 
Thanks for the posts Rich and Whargoul.

I will probably just keep things as they are for now. I have too much tied up in PMs so I get a bit worried from time to time. I think platinum and palladium are too much linked with the auto industry so I am not gonna get into them any time soon.

I still dont see a better investment though than PMs, at least for the time being.

Jim
 
something you make look at is common long term ratios between the precious metals. perhaps there is a difference now from long term trends, could point you in the right direction...?
 
dandow20 said:
something you make look at is common long term ratios between the precious metals. perhaps there is a difference now from long term trends, could point you in the right direction...?

If the price of silver goes back up and the ratio gets back to 15 to 1 I will be in good shape.

Jim
 
WTG on the Walker....I would be happy with just that find.
I just bought 2 rolls on E-pay.

FFD
 
just a aspect to look at; dump your silver and buy in "numismatic" rare key dates they have done nothing but go up in value even in a bad economy people are still shucking out for a good "55" ddo or a 16d merc if you look at your stash as a profit/loss standard using the coins you bought at face or way below spot to buy coins you/consumers want with pure profit you can always resale.
this is why i buy only in engelhard silver bars or desired coins if need arose to sell i will get better to what i bought versus buying in gold. of course i will not pass up a good deal on gold
Best wishes to whatever you may decide just my two cents
PIP
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom