Attachments

• Two CW forts.jpg
    Two CW forts.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 3,556

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Fort Buhlow is located on Lake Buhlow which is on the Pineville side of the Red River. You can find the site approximately 60 yards upstream (north) of the O. K. Allen Bridge on U.S. Highway 71.

Located on a promontory overlooking the river, Fort Buhlow is a roughly circular earthwork surrounded by a moat. It is approximately 30 feet high and 200 feet in diameter. At the time of the fort vegetation was cleared, giving soldiers a good view of the Red River.

The roadside is cleared for parking and recreation, so the earthworks have suffered degradation. But what is left coupled with an imagination provide a visitor with a good view of the site.

A "sister fort," Fort Randolph, is located approximately 600 yards downstream (south) from the bridge about one-quarter mile from the Fort Buhlow site.

Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph are earthwork/moat fortifications constructed beginning October 1864. Confederate forces anticipated a repeat of the 1864 Red River Expedition by Union troops led by General Nathaniel Banks.

Construction was completed by March 1865. The earthworks were named for military engineer Lieutenant A. Buhlow, who supervised the construction, and Captain C. M. Randolph, who commanded the area troops.

The work had been performed by about 1500 soldiers and civilian workers and 500 black slaves. A third and larger fort, planned for the Alexandria side of the river, was never built.

There was a Confederate troop buildup in the Alexandria area in March 1865, and the Confederate ironclad ship Missouri was anchored in the river opposite Fort Randolph. The anticipated Union attack never came and no fighting ever took place.

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A+, I know where you picked up the information. Do you see the circle of trees to the south of the small lake in the cleared area? That is fort Randolph. It is slightly to the center of the middle lake on the south side.It is one of the few undisturbed forts remaining. It has not been modernised or improved for tourist. It is on state property and access is restricted. The two Forts plus the Iornclad would have made a triangle of fire on any boat going down the river or up it. In the middle of the picture to the left side of the river is where the ironclad would have been, where the cleared roads are.
DG

Attachments

• Two CW forts.jpg
    Two CW forts.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 3,429
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;) The land is state owned and on the property of The state mental hospital , shown to the right. If you want to take the chance, but if I got caught, given the fact everyone knows me, I would end up in the buildings on the right. (maybe)
;D

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
How much of the land is state owned...any private property there that they would allow you to hunt ?
All state owned. No private land anwhere around the whole square.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
;) The land is state owned and on the property of The state mental hospital , shown to the right. If you want to take the chance, but if I got caught, given the fact everyone knows me, I would end up in the buildings on the right. (maybe)
;D

NAA, you commit a crime, you end up with us :) that's strictly a civil commit facility :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread