Two Firsts! A 1913 Barber Dime and a 1890 Seated Dime

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Another fun day digging. I found my first Barber and Seated. ;D It was a blast pulling these coins out. When I was digging my silvers last year I was finding washingtons and rosies. I love seeing these older coins come to the serface.
I detected for eight hours, it wore me out but boy did I catch a rush when I found these firsts for me. My videos aren't that great but I hope you enjoy!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Man, you find the best silver hands down. The barber even has full liberty on it :thumbsup:
Congrats!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the SEATED CLUB !!!!!!

I cringe seeing you rub those coins ..I learned the hard way .... Just stick it water and let it soak for a bit...
I knocked a couple hundred $ off a coin I found by doing that....

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 768
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 767

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Those are two stellar looking dimes! Doesn't get much better of day than that. Looking forward to see what else is at your "silver mine"

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
OMG!!! What a day!

Congrats on those two firsts, and particularly on that beautiful seated!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

I hope someday to run into you again out there - then I'll know where the silver mine is, because I can't imagine you'll be hunting anywhere else for quite a while! :wink:

Thet deep solid signal is what I dream of. Nice job!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, agreed. Two of the best looking shinies to come out together in a quite a while around here. Those gals have been in the mud bath too long! Congrats on bringing them back, they cleaned up real nice.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Wow, wow, wow!!! Them there are some beauties!! Did I say wow!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME JOB!!!!! :hello2:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those beautiful dimes. Just remember too much cleaning is not always good. I found a beautiful full liberty barber quarter and I complained how dark it was....everyone else said that that is the beauty about it. So I left it. Its very dark, but very detailed. If i ever plan on selling it, the buyer can do whatever they want with it, and I won't hurt the value. Those dirty uncleaned, toned silver coins often bring more $ than the Shinies, because the shinies are usually cleaned. Collectors don't necessarily like "cleaned" coins.

Anyways, I rub a lot of my coins too, so I'm guilty as well. Sometimes I just can't help it.

Congratulations on a couple of beauties. Looks like your hunting one of the parks I hunt by the coinage you're pulling out. :thumbsup:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Congrats on two beautiful coins. I'm hoping this is the year for me to join the "seated" club!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW CONGRATS ON TWO GREAT COINS!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice video and beautiful coins! Congrats.

Joe

OP
OP
justdigging50

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the feed back guys.
DP BOB said:
I cringe seeing you rub those coins ..I learned the hard way .... Just stick it water and let it soak for a bit...
Lookn4seated said:
Congrats on those beautiful dimes. Just remember too much cleaning is not always good.

I knew someone would bust me for rubbing that coin. I watched myself doing that on the video and realized that's not such a great idea. I'll definitely let it soak next time, Thanks Bob, Jon.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big time congrats. Beautiful dimes. Does that SEF coil throw off the depth reading?
HH
John

OP
OP
justdigging50

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
dirtyJohn said:
Does that SEF coil throw off the depth reading?

John
Thanks John.
I was wondering about that myself. If you look at my video you can see the coin marked pretty deep. Maybe 10 inches. I dug and the coin was at the 5 to 6 inch range. Has anyone else noticed this with etrac and 10x12 sef. I'll keep a close watch with my next few digs and see if I notice it again.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread