lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Two Silver coins and a "TREBLE ORANGE " Jacksonian ? cuff link? button

Yesterday it was mild with not a hint of wind..perfect for detecting...hunted an old beach ...I love old beaches..so many surprises waiting to be found.

Managed to find a 1962 "roosie" and a 194_ or 192_ "merc"..unable to see date clearly, but am soaking it in olive oil at present .

Also a couple of days ago, I recovered a gold- gilted item stamped "Treble Orange" with intact shank; eagle image on front with letters "A PRESENT FOR CHARLES" surrounding the eagle..I've been told that this item dates to the 1820's -1850's. I'm still researching it.

Here's pics

thanks for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture 6848.jpg
    Picture 6848.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 404
  • Picture 6849.jpg
    Picture 6849.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 392
  • Picture 6777.jpg
    Picture 6777.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Picture 6783.jpg
    Picture 6783.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,016
Re: Two Silver coins and a "TREBLE ORANGE " Jacksonian ? cuff link? button

The term "Treble Orange" referred to the gold coating (gilt) on the brass button and was used to play up the color because this style of button lacked decoration or unusual shapes."
Granted, this quote may be out of context, I don't know.
Don.....
Source: page 8-5 here:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...v-z29u&sig=AHIEtbQxRZs-LUK__0tcpz7h3kAHwp_YsQ

Mackaydon said:
The term "Treble Orange" referred to the gold coating (gilt) on the brass button and was used to play up the color because this style of button lacked decoration or unusual shapes."
Granted, this quote may be out of context, I don't know.
Don.....
Source: page 8-5 here:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...v-z29u&sig=AHIEtbQxRZs-LUK__0tcpz7h3kAHwp_YsQ

Hi Don,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, I had read that article....I wondered if it was referring primarily to the plain , flat buttons such as "livery " buttons; this button is quite ornate; but another article I read states in general terms that "Treble Orange" and "Treble Gilt" refers to the quality of the gilt of buttons of that era. I am not knowledgeable on these antique buttons..it's confusing to me. If I find out any further info I'll post it.

And here's what our own 'BCH' said a few months ago:
"I believe SUPERB IMPERIAL STANDARD or STANDD is a generic backmark and is not a manufacturers mark per se. I think its like , SUPERIOR QUALITY, BEST TREBLE ORANGE, DOUBLE GILT, TRIPLE PLATED, EXTRA RICH, SUPERFINE... etc."
Source: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c..."treble+orange"+mean&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thank you for this additional information, Don

Much appreciated

Lorraine

I don't believe there was an 'Charles' ruling in England during any part of the 1700s or 1800s.
Could it simple be a 'special order' for someone named 'Charles'?

Mackaydon said:
I don't believe there was an 'Charles' ruling in England during any part of the 1700s or 1800s.
Could it simple be a 'special order' for someone named 'Charles'?

That is a likely possibility

Someone suggested that "Charles" could be a man by name of Charles Dickinson , who was killed by Andrew Jackson in a controversial duel in that time period.

lorraine said:
Yesterday it was mild with not a hint of wind..perfect for detecting...hunted an old beach ...I love old beaches..so many surprises waiting to be found.

Managed to find a 1962 "roosie" and a 194_ or 192_ "merc"..unable to see date clearly, but am soaking it in olive oil at present .

Also a couple of days ago, I recovered a gold- gilted item stamped "Treble Orange" with intact shank; eagle image on front with letters "A PRESENT FOR CHARLES" surrounding the eagle..I've been told that this item dates to the 1820's -1850's. I'm still researching it.

Here's pics

thanks for looking

Lorraine
WOW great find very nice detecting you are the best :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

"WOW great find very nice detecting"

Why, thank you, Mr . B63...I get lucky sometimes; other times I come home with crusty pennies...you know how it is out there :)

I'm getting "cabin fever" from all this snow.... may venture out tomorrow , but will stay around the valley area beaches.

good luck if you get out.

Interesting button Lorraine. The Charles Dickinson part may have merit, although I would not call the button a "Jacksonian" button in any way shape or form (my opinion of course).

If anything the button might be considered a precursor Whig Political party button more than anything. Evidently Charles Dickinson's dislike for Jackson was rather strong to say the least and he was a big non supporter of Jackson and the Democratic Party. I believe the design of the button is to honor the new Whig party (1832 era) in honor of Dickinson's dislike of Jackson from years earlier.

So, if it were my button, I would be calling it a possible Campaign type button (most likely for the Whig party which was formed to oppose Andrew Jackson).

I could be in left field, but sounds plausible since it has that slogan.

I attached a photo of a similar design button from the same period, that Albert's book has listed as Unclassified, talking to Tice he considered it a Patriotic button (the one with the similar eagle to your button).

Don

Attachments

• Patriotic.jpg
    Patriotic.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 873

Don,

Thank you so very much for that information.....this sounds very plausible.

I hadn't given a thought to the possibility of a Campaign button..how very interesting!

I love history, but will now "brush up" on the Whig party of that era.

The eagle in your pic is exactly like the one on the button that I found...I'm so happy that you found the pic and posted it.

I must beg ignorance on the name "Tice"....please educate me as to who this person is...it would be much appreciated.

Lorraine

Warren Tice, author of two big button books. :) One of the most knowledgeable button collector/author in USA.

Don

Lorraine, no doubt, another possibility and more in the time frame, but either one could be plausable. Either way, your button is a super nice one, I know I cherish the political, and patriotic ones I have found over the years.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back