What's new

Type Opinions

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A few of the older members have seen this before. It's from Wisconsin, is 5 1/2 inches long, made of Hixton, and the base is ground. I have had it authenticated by 3 highly respected authenticators, and they came up with two different types. I don't really agree with either of them at this point.

Lets hear what you all say.

DSCN3123.webpDSCN3348.webp

DSCN3319.webpDSCN3322.webp
 
Upvote 0
Right or wrong this is what I'm going with.. It's just the material that's weird to me,......... I can't add a photo for some reason... Etley
 
I know Table Rock was already mentioned. Here is one that seams to be made of a similar or the same material. I do not know if it matters but this has more of a excurvate blade edge and yours is straight. I think the stem and shoulder are similar.

13813A.webp
 
Last edited:
It's a little out there, but what do you think a cousin of a Hardin variant? I've seen some knobbed Hardins that kind of look like that.
 
It's a little out there, but what do you think a cousin of a Hardin variant? I've seen some knobbed Hardins that kind of look like that.

You may be right.

Hardin is what the other two called it. But, I can't find any Hardins with up turned shoulders. When I asked Jim about the shoulders, he said they were probably missing from several sharpenings. But then, I always understood Hardin to be right hand beveled. This piece, if it has been re sharpened several times, it was done bi-facially.

Funny that the determinations are all around the Cody type. With Stringtown supposedly Cody complex further east, and the Hardin believed to have come from same complex as I understand it.
 
I believe ever since man was created, the innovative man has been roaming the land and looking for an easier way with a better tool. Some call us "jack legs" while others call us "fools"! We call ourselves "creative"! Why does an absolute "type" have to be put on a point? Why couldn't it be that this piece was created by a well..... Creator? One that combines the best of what's around, in pursuit of creating a master tool. I honestly think all of the identities given here are correct.. To an extent. We know an intellectual knapped this piece!!! Look at the kick @$$ lithic he decided to use. What is that lithic? It's beautiful. Quito! Thanks for the view!!
 
I believe ever since man was created, the innovative man has been roaming the land and looking for an easier way with a better tool. Some call us "jack legs" while others call us "fools"! We call ourselves "creative"! Why does an absolute "type" have to be put on a point? Why couldn't it be that this piece was created by a well..... Creator? One that combines the best of what's around, in pursuit of creating a master tool. I honestly think all of the identities given here are correct.. To an extent. We know an intellectual knapped this piece!!! Look at the kick @$$ lithic he decided to use. What is that lithic? It's beautiful. Quito! Thanks for the view!!

It's Hixton Silicified Sandstone, and it does belong top a type or sub-type imho.
 
Looks like a Benton type to me
 
I would tend to agree with Joshua on this one. Some of the hardins and eared Edens get to looking very similar. In fact at the Gorto site in the UP of Michigan they are intermixed and downright strange in some cases, and some caches of eared Edens have been found with thebes-like points also.

It also could be a table rock as there are some nice ones found in Wisconsin...but it would be by far the largest I have seen of the type. The hardin and Eden makers also seemed to love the red and orange colors in Hixton just as my own observation, so that would fit in well also.

Hippy
 
I would tend to agree with Joshua on this one. Some of the hardins and eared Edens get to looking very similar. In fact at the Gorto site in the UP of Michigan they are intermixed and downright strange in some cases, and some caches of eared Edens have been found with thebes-like points also.

It also could be a table rock as there are some nice ones found in Wisconsin...but it would be by far the largest I have seen of the type. The hardin and Eden makers also seemed to love the red and orange colors in Hixton just as my own observation, so that would fit in well also.

Hippy

Thanks for your opinion again Jeff it is always appreciated!

Perhaps you don't remember, but when you handled it at Collinsville a few years ago, you said " Scottsbluff, Eared Eden, which ever, it's definitely Cody".

In my humble opinion, I am leaning toward eared eden. I have noticed that because of that famous white monster out there, that the distinct ridge is almost always expected on an Eden, and I am of the opinion that gem was far from first stage. I believe with a few bifacial re-sharpenings, this piece would have developed that *expected* median ridge.

I watched a video of Mr. Blackwell knocking out a hixton eden that resembled the famous one, and there was a stage where it had pretty much an identical form. It was there it became obvious how much material was removed to come up with that form, and I highly doubt they wasted that much material.

So, you are back in the states now?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom