U P R R lock key

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would believe this is a Union Pacific lock key. My question is what does the S stand for, from what era and what would the lock look like. This came from a lawn from an 1820 Stone house in the Finger Lakes of NY- same house frome where I posted that nice Marine Button last year. I worked that front yard hard last year, but the drought made the soil so hard, there were a # of targets I missed. Now the winter snows have gone, it's so easy to dig. Also this stirrup (bronze?) came up yesterday. There is an old 'Penn. and Sodus Bay RR bed out behind this property, I don't think it was ever finished, as the LVRR was completed first. Any info is welcome---- 🎵da Prof🎵--- Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.51.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.53.00 AM.png

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty awesome RR key, they don't turn up often. The UPRR was formed in 1862, but I tend to think the key would date later in the 19th century to early 20th.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sparlo

Greenie
Nov 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are lucky, the reverse will have a maker's mark but should have a serial number. The serif script and tapered barrel point to an early lock.

The puzzle is how a UPRR switch key landed in Upstate NY where UPRR doesn't operate. Unlike railcars, switch locks were not shared across rail lines so while you may find a foreign railcar key or lock on any given railroad, foreign switch locks and keys are never associated.

Yours is a very nice example. Nice find.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding a UPRR lock with no key shouldn't be hard. Get it then you'll have both lock and key. I'll bet the key is harder to find than a lock. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!! ahh, I kinda figured that it might be for Switch---thank you--

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no, no marking on back--- I see from the other replies, my 'luck was close, no cigar' !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no mark, cool site for RR memorabilia !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sparlo, yeah- one does wonder how this got there--the house and 100 acre farm had only two owners. The first settler was Mr Woodard. Had 13 children, maybe one did not stay on the farm!! I am really surprised on old coins have come up. many newer targets ar 6-8" deep. Perhaps with a better detector than my ATPRO. I might try with my 1280X, see what happens. now that the ground is so soft. My co-hunter was using his Equinox 800, but had the same results, though he is new to the hobby and not use to what his machine can do. We gotta get back before the wild lawns grow back up. All the old fields and orchards are to thich with brambles, tufts and walnut trees now.
--Here is a link to the whiskey bottle my friend, who got us permission to hunt, found---that is Way Cool ! https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pure-rye-whiskey-medical-use-127626662
--all that has come up so far is just iron pieces, newer aluminum trach (10"down). Many out buildings there. I'll post anything good that comes up-

Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that key, I'm glad your buddy found that cool bottle. I would be on the lookout for an old outhouse depression or old dumpsite. I do hope you find the lock!!! Good luck sounds like a great spot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--like the '��TIZ BOTTLE ��'------- ( old joke)---

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions