Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another find in the area where I think a blacksmith lived from around 1850-1900 or so. Don't know if this is related. But I'm stumped. I was gonna write it off as Unidentified Found Object, but as I cleaned it, I started to see it shine a little and also started to make out what looked like tiny markings. The whole piece is only about 1x2 inches, and my best guess is that the circular insignia is only 2.5 mm across.

Rings up a solid 89-90 on the Ace 200, which is usually the domain of aluminum cans and dollar coins and silver. Specific gravity of 5.2. Cannot scratch with a penny, but a pocket knife does the job.

Thanks as always!

No markings on this side.

IMG_1338.jpg

I've circled the insignia and what appears to be the letters H and I (Maybe L? Could be LH for Left Hand? It does appear to be one side of something.)

InkedIMG_1337 (1)_LI.jpg

Close-up of insignia

IMG_1337 - Copy.jpg

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting with the detail inside and the corrosion outside

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As to the insignia, it looks like one of those old-timey logos, where they stack all the letters on top of each other.
(I know.... how original?) But I guess that was in vogue back then?

I definitely see a "W", and what looks like "A", and maybe "I" & "H"?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As to the insignia, it looks like one of those old-timey logos, where they stack all the letters on top of each other.

Interesting - that makes a lot of sense...don't know what else it would be, you know? I found the census record from 1870 for the family who lived there and ran the mill. I'll take a look at the family members first names and see if there's a correlation. Thanks!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outside looks a bit like some artillery shrapnel I've found in the past.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about it either. When I first found some years ago, I had to have someone tell me what it was. Cannonballguy will probably be the one to help if that's what it is.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first thought is a wedge used in a wood axe / maul handle wedge -hammered into the split end to secure handle to tool head.
brady

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your logo pic is upside down.

attachment.php

I photo shopped it a bit. Definitely intertwined initials. M C with a line through the center. These things make me crazy.

It has a very art deco sort of look to my eye. 1930 - 40's. My first thought was 'battery compartment cover'. Like for a small flashlight...

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first thought is a wedge used in a wood axe / maul handle wedge -hammered into the split end to secure handle to tool head.
brady

I had to google it, but I can see the similarity. I think it's probably a bit too big for that tho. Thanks man.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I photo shopped it a bit. Definitely intertwined initials. M C with a line through the center. These things make me crazy.
Thanks Matt! I flipped it every single way and couldn't figure out which way it went to save my life. I can barely read my own handwriting, let alone somebody else's cryptogram. The art deco comment makes sense, and that pretty much rules out anything homemade, so looking at the initials of the "pioneers" who lived here would be useless.

Now that I realize it's essentially worthless, I'm going to try to get more of the "weathering" off of it. As I was sanding it a little yesterday, I began to see a bit of a brass-type color in a few places.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DCM - the end of the one on top doesn't look too far off at all. And it appears a lot of these were made of copper, so that would explain the color.

H21122-L191319216_original.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread