South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent the last couple of hunts in the woods at a couple old stone foundation sites. Lots of old relic stuff, but nothing noteworthy, plus I need to fashion a high strength magnet to suck up all of the rust square nails at these foundations. Need to try the sifting/patience thing. I'm not giving up on these yet.

So I decided that it would be a good time to clean and gather my monthly clad hoard for a Coinstar dump. I like to grab any loose coins in the car, my coat pockets and In random places coins tend to gather in our house. I dumped out an old basket in our closet ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481072832.900251.jpg Found about $.25 in it, but also noticed this winged creature that was quite heavy. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481072917.909218.jpg Flipped it over and was very surprised to see K18, it seems like junk as where all of the other items in this little basket that I was going to throw out. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481072992.374185.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481073002.098411.jpg There is a symbol before K18. Does this mean gold plated? My wife does not know where it came from.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 4
K18 is sometimes used in jewelry to denote 18 k, especially in Japanese jewelry from Mikimoto. Their hallmark tends to be an M enclosed in a shell-type design or shield.

Regardless, that is an interesting piece....

BTW, that might be a beetle...a common Japanese theme.

One more note....the stone could be jade, or some approximation of a fake...

Start with the hallmark...then test the gold, then let a reputable jeweler take a look at the stone (if the first two check out)

Last edited:
Pretty cool looking bug, I'd have it tested to make sure, though it looks pretty good in the photo.

Very nice piece of jewelry!

Looks like you caught a good buzz there, LOL !!

Judging by its size compared to the wristwatch, thats a big piece of gold :)

I would definitely try to figure out when and who made it.

Thx for the feedback. I dug into it on google and came up with a potential match on the hallmark.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481078385.324701.jpg
Looks like the lower right one, old Tiffany gold hallmark? This might be a good one. Art Deco period?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back