What's new

uglyest U.S coin

twitchmn

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I was looking through my 2009 red book and I thought wow some of the coin designs are really ugly. so I just wan't to know you u think is the uglyest coin. I think that the peace dollar is pretty ugly and plain.
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking about it and I think a lot of the motifs in coinage has a lot to do with art made by the artists of the time.... Not sure if any people on T.N. are into art, but my background is in art, and is my trade as well.

Around turn of the century there was a major classical revival going on in the arts, and female figures being the focus of much art along with nature subjects, (artist ~ J.W. Waterhouse - Bougereau - Lord Leighton to name a few). Even the whole arts and crafts movement, and art noveau movements and writers like Thoreau...(late 1800's to turn of century) was largely nature and female focused with simplistic designs. Anyway, I just think that these artistic ideals can be seen in the coinage of the times because that's largely what the artist of the time where interested in portraying, and the Liberty & Eagle and cent wreath leaves was a perfect vehicle for this expression. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

By about 1930's the art changed and everything started to get homaginized up till today with the main art people are exposed to being computer graphic flash bells and whistles on the commercials on TV. Kind of sad in my opinion. The ideals of what good art is has changed, so now we have crappy quarters and nickels, because of those changes in thought on art and design.

Just realize who designs the coins and what those artists were exposed to for their generation. Hope that makes sense.
 
Codes said:
The newer Jefferson Nickels....HANDS DOWN are the ugliest.
agreed, the susan bs are ugly too
 
lady liberty is pretty good... but, im a big fan of animals on coins.

buffalo nickel is by far my favorite coin...I think the reason the buffalo is so awesome is because of the size of the art on it! the indian head and the buffalo are huge and dominate the coin...the designs these days seem smaller somehow.
 
Wow...as much as everyone complains about finding them (including ME!!!) no one has mentioned the stinkin' zincolns!! :icon_scratch:
 
I pretty much agree with all the posts here. I really don't care for any of the current circulating coins and would like to see Lady Liberty put back on the coins but would also like to see a reason to put her back. :'( >:(
 
DigginThePast said:
I pretty much agree with all the posts here. I really don't care for any of the current circulating coins and would like to see Lady Liberty put back on the coins but would also like to see a reason to put her back. :'( >:(

Good point.
 
The Sac dollar coins suck! I mean you touch em once and the cheap, fake, gold finish wears off practically.

-Golden Silver
 
not a fan of the new jeffersons.

I have to agree with the ike. The reverse isn't bad though.

I have to say the sacs are the ugliest though. She looks like a freakin' cat lady.
 
I like ALL the new nickles WAY better than the whole quarter thing OR the Jeff Nicks.

I kinda like the sacs - but NOT the Susan Bs...

The ugliest was the three cent silver... It looks like PLAY money...

III cent.webp
 
Codes said:
The newer Jefferson Nickels....HANDS DOWN are the ugliest.
I agree too.
 
the new president dollars are ugly to me....i can't believe anyone would want to collect them.
 
You are all wrong.
The Uglyest US coin ever will be the
GEORGE W. BUSH DOLLAR PRESIDENTIAL COIN ;D :tard:
 
I with those pushing the classical coins. Let's highjack the mint and start pumping out some seated liberty coins.
 
bring back the copper indian head cents -- buffalo nickle -- (silver) merc dime ---(silver) SLQ quarter --- seated half (silver) and (silver) morgan dollar ---

modern coinage sucks -- zinc cents should be outlawed.
 
ivan salis said:
modern coinage sucks -- zinc cents should be outlawed.

Our country can't even afford to keep us on the zinc standard, what makes you think we could bring back the silver standard?
 
hands down the ugliest coin in Us history
 

Attachments

  • 005-1.webp
    005-1.webp
    63 KB · Views: 320
  • 005-1.webp
    005-1.webp
    63 KB · Views: 321
  • 005-1.webp
    005-1.webp
    63 KB · Views: 322
dang thats one migly (mighty / ugly) coin. --i gotta agree .
 
Darth Walker said:
You are all wrong.
The Uglyest US coin ever will be the
GEORGE W. BUSH DOLLAR PRESIDENTIAL COIN ;D :tard:

That one will be the center piece of my collection!!! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom