What's new

Um, Uh...... What is this?

dirtyJohn

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
643
Reaction score
47
Golden Thread
0
Location
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in the woods. It looks like the tip is broken off. The other side has the same design. I think it's made of copper. it came up as coin on my detector. I appreciate any replies. Thanks for your time.
 

Attachments

  • object.webp
    object.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,453
Upvote 0
Dont know but its cool.

Trade item maybe? Looks to be depicting a tree on it.

Nice find!! :)
 
Here's a close up shot
 

Attachments

  • object002.webp
    object002.webp
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,402
Nice find dirtyjohn.
It looks like it might have been an arrow head. The design looks to have central or south American influences - to my uneducated eye.

Interesting - let's see what the experts say :icon_pirat:

Cheers, Mike
 
Copper arrowhead? I was going to say (trikikiwi said it first) that the design looks Aztec or Inca, but I am just guessing. Very interesting find.

Are the edges sharp? You may have something very valuable. http://www.jstor.org/pss/276784
 
Thanks for replying. No the edges are not sharp. They are flat all the way around ( by design). It's a mystery to me.
 
What does the back look like?


Watch fob?
 
Both sides have the same design. Must have been handmade because the images are not symetrical. One side has what I will call the ear, appears to be closer to the swirl than on the other side plus one of the circles appears to be lower than the other one. Here's a pic of both sides.
 

Attachments

  • objectside001.webp
    objectside001.webp
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,344
Having a close look at the second pic, the big one, I think the shape is quite possibly machine made,
or cast, likewise the etchings
 
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
The point appears broken off! maybe a neckless! is that gold in the lines or is that paint?

Clearly its hand tooled, & maybe broken at its weakest point ie. a hole for a necklace (as above).

Probably gold guilded as well.

Date?? maybe late 18th century :icon_scratch:
 
i think a pendant with the loop broken off 'cause i lost mine 150 years ago. what would be interesting if you can find the meaning, and, a collector. nice!
 
I used to use these all the time...... It's a fish point for a spear!
 
notgittinenny said:
I used to use these all the time...... It's a fish point for a spear!
are you serious or joking? a blade made out of copper?
 
just my guess that was my first impression. Although it does look like a mysterious sect's amulet that worshipped cartoon characters sacrificing dragon flies. If you think about it, it does have barbs to retain the speared catch, and a place to wrap attaching sinews, too bad they hit a rock with it and broke the tip and the stick it was attached to. And it could also be many, many miles from its original manufacturing area.........Not - -G - E!
 
Another thought.. it could also be ancient indian tribe's star warrior award, Brave treeindamouth........ ;D
 
late 60's to early 70's hippy heavy chain necklace pendant. top with hole is broken off. Carving is not a tree but a "weed". Used to see a lot of them hanging in the head shops.
Joe
 
WOW, finally an expert........ ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom