What's new

Unbelievable Civil War Camp (Warning Contains Stunning Relics/Great Pictures)

pitdiggers

Full Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TNET,

It's been a while since my last post but life sometimes just gets in the way of digging... Or maybe I was just waiting for a post that would blow your socks off. Today we decided to hit a new site that we have been looking into and little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. It has been a while since I have done a full day of digging and this was one of those days where you just couldn't stop. The site appears to be a Union camp based upon the research we have done as well as the real supporting evidence.... the relics! The day started off with only the occasional bullet until we stumbled upon the money hole. We began popping bullet after bullet with the occasional uniform button or knapsack hook. The sight of green brass in the hole is always a welcome sight, however the ground action wasn't too kind to many of the buttons. Most of the button backs we found did have matching fronts but as soon as they met the air they crumbled into what seemed like hundreds of pieces. The first great find of the day sounded just like any of the other button backs but instead out popped a star and crescent cape pin (our FIRST). This was just the start to the list of incredible relics we found today. After admiring the relics during a quick break it was back to metal detecting. The next hit was a solid signal on the MXT and was almost too good to be true which means almost always a Mason jar lid or can. After flipping over the plug there laid the white oval back of a cartridge box plate and the impression in the mud of the "U". After flipping it over and doing a quick celebration it was back to digging. Within a 20 yard radius there was soon to be three more plates coming out of the ground; another cartridge box plate, a carbine sling buckle, and a puppy paw "US" buckle. I normally dream of a one plate day nowadays yet today it was an unbelievable 4 plate day. Well instead of writing a book about every second of the day I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Hope you enjoy! What a great start to the year!
Oh wait don't forget the list of today's finds....
2 US cartridge box plates
1 US puppy paw belt buckle
1 carbine sling buckle
2 canteen spouts (1 engraved JNW)
200+ bullets (I lost count at about 206)
1 cape pin
1 brass artillery fuse
Buttons include general service eagles, eagle I's, Connecticut cuff, and New York cuff and coat
Knapsack hooks
3 bayonet scabbard tips
Camp lead
Various brass buckles, fasteners, grommets, and etc.

Happy hunting,

Pitdiggers
 

Attachments

  • bullet1.webp
    bullet1.webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 6,548
  • Buckles1.webp
    Buckles1.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 6,227
  • Dirty1.webp
    Dirty1.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,124
  • Freshdugbuckle.webp
    Freshdugbuckle.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 6,252
  • imprint1.webp
    imprint1.webp
    124.8 KB · Views: 6,340
  • Brass1.webp
    Brass1.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 6,490
  • Bullets.webp
    Bullets.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 6,296
  • EagleI1.webp
    EagleI1.webp
    82.4 KB · Views: 6,332
  • Hook1.webp
    Hook1.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 6,613
  • Canteen1.webp
    Canteen1.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 6,417
  • Button1.webp
    Button1.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,699
Upvote 0
All I can say is WOW!!! That is definitely a dream hunt! Congrats!
 
Awesome finds. You did the right thing. You treat your landowner right and it will open more doors for you. I do the same thing. I don't take recognizable pictures of location, I give landowner finds and invite them to hunt as well. You did just that and you got just reward. Again congrats and......... BANNER!!!!
 
That is an awesome site! Enjoy the hunts
in the future!
 
OMG! What a dig! You just don't see that very often these days. Just goes to show they are still out there. Congratulations of some great relics! Looking forward to your next post.

PS where are the corps badges and ID tags :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
The stuff dreams are made of.
 
Hey P, I been wondering if you have been out. I see you have in a Big Time way. Hunts like that one are few and far between today. I am formally voting BANNER on this one. The quality and quantity of great relics is incredible!! HH, Quindy and please send me a pm as I need some info. relating to my book. Congrats.
 
dang -- virgin spot for sure. :thumbsup:
 
Holy Tomato...Awesome site......Good Job..... :headbang: :headbang:
 
Man that is one great site and now you have it all to yourself, way to go. Giving the owner the use of your backup was a smart move also, now he'll be hooked.
 

Attachments

  • awesomespinningstar.gif
    awesomespinningstar.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,104
  • awesomespinningstar.gif
    awesomespinningstar.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,096
Awesome Finds. My Dream Find Is A US Buckel Or Box Plate...But living in NY I doubt it will ever happen
 
:o WHAT!!! :o OH my goodnesssss! All that in one site! :o Amazing hunt! I'm with Cru...LOVE that green patina.

Many congrats on all those stunning finds! :icon_thumright:

Nana :)
 
Great hunting. Congratulations. HH. OSSI
 
holy cow!
 

Attachments

  • holy-cow.webp
    holy-cow.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 5,057
  • holy-cow.webp
    holy-cow.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 5,056
Holy smokes! Congrats on the unbelievable haul of CW Relics and making the Banner :headbang: !!!!!!!

TommNJ
 
What a day!!! That will be hard to beat :headbang:
 
Kevkirki took the words out of my mouth. This early in the new year and the bar has already been set so high!! Great job!!!
 
great work, my heart would have been pound'n
 
Awesome Well Done!!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
:icon_thumleft:

Superb finds :o The insitu pictures are fantastic :icon_thumleft: Weldone on making the Banner.

SS
 
OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a fantastic group of CW relics!!! Way to go, and I'm proud to call you my next door neighbor! Congratulations on the well deserved BANNER. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Breezie
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom