What's new

Unbelievable Civil War Camp (Warning Contains Stunning Relics/Great Pictures)

pitdiggers

Full Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TNET,

It's been a while since my last post but life sometimes just gets in the way of digging... Or maybe I was just waiting for a post that would blow your socks off. Today we decided to hit a new site that we have been looking into and little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. It has been a while since I have done a full day of digging and this was one of those days where you just couldn't stop. The site appears to be a Union camp based upon the research we have done as well as the real supporting evidence.... the relics! The day started off with only the occasional bullet until we stumbled upon the money hole. We began popping bullet after bullet with the occasional uniform button or knapsack hook. The sight of green brass in the hole is always a welcome sight, however the ground action wasn't too kind to many of the buttons. Most of the button backs we found did have matching fronts but as soon as they met the air they crumbled into what seemed like hundreds of pieces. The first great find of the day sounded just like any of the other button backs but instead out popped a star and crescent cape pin (our FIRST). This was just the start to the list of incredible relics we found today. After admiring the relics during a quick break it was back to metal detecting. The next hit was a solid signal on the MXT and was almost too good to be true which means almost always a Mason jar lid or can. After flipping over the plug there laid the white oval back of a cartridge box plate and the impression in the mud of the "U". After flipping it over and doing a quick celebration it was back to digging. Within a 20 yard radius there was soon to be three more plates coming out of the ground; another cartridge box plate, a carbine sling buckle, and a puppy paw "US" buckle. I normally dream of a one plate day nowadays yet today it was an unbelievable 4 plate day. Well instead of writing a book about every second of the day I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Hope you enjoy! What a great start to the year!
Oh wait don't forget the list of today's finds....
2 US cartridge box plates
1 US puppy paw belt buckle
1 carbine sling buckle
2 canteen spouts (1 engraved JNW)
200+ bullets (I lost count at about 206)
1 cape pin
1 brass artillery fuse
Buttons include general service eagles, eagle I's, Connecticut cuff, and New York cuff and coat
Knapsack hooks
3 bayonet scabbard tips
Camp lead
Various brass buckles, fasteners, grommets, and etc.

Happy hunting,

Pitdiggers
 

Attachments

  • bullet1.webp
    bullet1.webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 6,548
  • Button1.webp
    Button1.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,699
  • Canteen1.webp
    Canteen1.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 6,417
  • Hook1.webp
    Hook1.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 6,613
  • EagleI1.webp
    EagleI1.webp
    82.4 KB · Views: 6,332
  • Bullets.webp
    Bullets.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 6,296
  • Brass1.webp
    Brass1.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 6,490
  • imprint1.webp
    imprint1.webp
    124.8 KB · Views: 6,340
  • Freshdugbuckle.webp
    Freshdugbuckle.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 6,252
  • Dirty1.webp
    Dirty1.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,124
  • Buckles1.webp
    Buckles1.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 6,227
Upvote 0
Wow! Great haul! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
 
super duper finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
:o :o :o You hit the mother load! I wouldn't have wanted to leave.... :D Awesome place. :thumbsup:
 
That is unreal for this day and age.

And to think it had been hunted before.

Whenever I see a post like this, I always think about the history saved.

There are some morons who would rather see it rot in the ground than saved by us.

We have one here in Louisville who's ultimate goal is to outlaw hunting on private land.

Nice Save and congratulations on the Banner.
 
Um wow?!! Don't know what else to say. I'm usually quite exuberant when I uncover a few bullets that someone else missed. I can only dream about a hunt like you had with your sons. And speaking as a father, what a memory to have of a day spent with your sons! WOW WOW WOW. Not sure which I would treasure more really, the memory of the day or the finds themselves.
 
Outstanding job all the war around PD! As I like to say, Virginia still has the goodies. I have 4 good machines but my favorite is still the MXT - she's a real work horse. Thanks for sharing.
 
Very nice indeed, thats what keeps dreams alive... Thanks for sharing and saving that history

Cw
 
killer hunt!!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
What a day to be hunting. If that was just one day then I am sure there will be much much more to come.
Congratulations!
HH
TnMtns
 
Yup--Incredible!

All the best,

Lanny
 
That's the way to go Pitdigger, that's how i feel about things, A person lets me hunt there property, and i find stuff OR anything that relates back to the family, It goes back to the family, It's the least you can do for the privilege of looking......IMO HH, And By the Way that's the most awesome finds I've ever seen outta one site. Wish i could have gotten into this GREAT hobby years ago
 
Wow nice pics...Title is correct...They are stunning!
 
Congratulations!!! Amazing finds!!

pitdiggers said:
Hey TNET,

It's been a while since my last post but life sometimes just gets in the way of digging... Or maybe I was just waiting for a post that would blow your socks off. Today we decided to hit a new site that we have been looking into and little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. It has been a while since I have done a full day of digging and this was one of those days where you just couldn't stop. The site appears to be a Union camp based upon the research we have done as well as the real supporting evidence.... the relics! The day started off with only the occasional bullet until we stumbled upon the money hole. We began popping bullet after bullet with the occasional uniform button or knapsack hook. The sight of green brass in the hole is always a welcome sight, however the ground action wasn't too kind to many of the buttons. Most of the button backs we found did have matching fronts but as soon as they met the air they crumbled into what seemed like hundreds of pieces. The first great find of the day sounded just like any of the other button backs but instead out popped a star and crescent cape pin (our FIRST). This was just the start to the list of incredible relics we found today. After admiring the relics during a quick break it was back to metal detecting. The next hit was a solid signal on the MXT and was almost too good to be true which means almost always a Mason jar lid or can. After flipping over the plug there laid the white oval back of a cartridge box plate and the impression in the mud of the "U". After flipping it over and doing a quick celebration it was back to digging. Within a 20 yard radius there was soon to be three more plates coming out of the ground; another cartridge box plate, a carbine sling buckle, and a puppy paw "US" buckle. I normally dream of a one plate day nowadays yet today it was an unbelievable 4 plate day. Well instead of writing a book about every second of the day I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Hope you enjoy! What a great start to the year!
Oh wait don't forget the list of today's finds....
2 US cartridge box plates
1 US puppy paw belt buckle
1 carbine sling buckle
2 canteen spouts (1 engraved JNW)
200+ bullets (I lost count at about 206)
1 cape pin
1 brass artillery fuse
Buttons include general service eagles, eagle I's, Connecticut cuff, and New York cuff and coat
Knapsack hooks
3 bayonet scabbard tips
Camp lead
Various brass buckles, fasteners, grommets, and etc.

Happy hunting,

Pitdiggers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom