Underwater detecting on the Treasure Coast

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I know you can't underwater metal detect for Spanish coins, etc. in leased waters, but can you underwater metal detect for rings that people lose in leased waters?

2. Can you underwater metal detect for Spanish treasure outside of leased waters?

3. If you look at the part that is defined as the Treasure Coast, how much of that is leased?

4. On another thread somebody posted that you can't recover artifacts older than 50 years from the water that is within 3 miles of the Eastern coast. Does this mean that if you are beyond 3 miles you can legally recover artifacts older than 50 years?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you are not in the waters on Treasure coast the answer is yes, you can detect under water and keep any rings. Quite a few hunters snorkel with dive belt in South Fl.

From about a half mile north of Sebastion Inlet State Park to about a mile south of Ft Pierce is the Treasure Coast where detecting in water is not allowed unless working for a lessee.

Lessees also pay local homeowners to watch and report people detecting in the water, you can legally hunt from mean low tide line to toe of dunes. Wet sand is legal to hunt, BUT putting coil in even an inch of water on a lease site is illegal.

Here is old thread with coordinates.

Last edited:

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
1. I know you can't underwater metal detect for Spanish coins, etc. in leased waters, but can you underwater metal detect for rings that people lose in leased waters?

2. Can you underwater metal detect for Spanish treasure outside of leased waters?

3. If you look at the part that is defined as the Treasure Coast, how much of that is leased?

4. On another thread somebody posted that you can't recover artifacts older than 50 years from the water that is within 3 miles of the Eastern coast. Does this mean that if you are beyond 3 miles you can legally recover artifacts older than 50 years?
Mel fisher and his Family bought most of the Florida Leases after they found the Atocha.
After a storm on the east coast of Florida the treasure coast is lined wall to wall with people detecting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I'm looking for rings and I find Spanish Gold I should throw it back ? Asking for a friend.. lol
As long as your not in the lease areas you can keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread