underwater detectors

pumpkins

Apr 6, 2005
OK, I've narrowed my choice down to one of two detectors for salt water beaches and diving. and which can be used for coin searching in parks, etc. Minelab Excalibur, and Fisher CZ-20. Read a lot about excalibur knobs loosening, but not read any problems with cz-20. Anyone with experience with either (or both) of these, which is better?

Thanks

B

BEACH DIGGER

I use a cz 20 every and found no problems at all!!! It love's nickels, once you lock in on its sounds ,, just start digging.. small to med. iron won't see them, with disc. set on one, high sounds DIG! 99.9 always money,, mid sounds very often jewelry.. the weight alittle heavy,but I always use a shoulder strap under-arm when on the beach.. I also like the minelab ex-cal, but I very happy with my cz 20!!
HH BEACH DIGGER

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
(from my previous post)

Take a look at the Headhunter PI by DetectorPro. $629.00 at Surfscanner.com

The electronics for this unit were based on a design by Eric Foster of England, the same guy who designed the Aquapulse, once made a custom boat towed detector for Mel Fisher and currently makes several top of the line pulse detectors. (aslo at Surfscanner.com)

There is no electronics box, the electronics are built into the headphones thanks to some cool micro-circuitry! The pulse delay setting is 15uS. I won't get into the technical stuff but this means it is very sensitive to small gold items!

Also, the White's Surf PI Pro is a great machine. It has the same pulse delay setting but the setting is fixed, not adjustable (like the Headhunter)

You have to weigh the value of the ring to what you are spending for the detector.

Just my 2 escudos worth!

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
the headhunter PI, looks like a nice machine, but i noticed the disclaimer on the bottom of there web pages stating "all sales final", i guess they do not offer a warranty ?, that just thow's up a red flag to me.

Pat.

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Howdy;
What model Garrett do you use for underwater detecting?
Will it really pick up a coin on it's edge?
How deep will it go?

I'm getting ready to buy an diving detector. Minelab, CZ20, Garrett?

I don't know. Can the folks with detectors on EBay be trusted?

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
I'm a be Fisher fan, I used a 1280x for years it paid for it's self many times over. Recently upgraded to a CZ20 I haven't used it alot, I have been pleased with the results. The 1280x is easier to learn to use.

N

nutso

I've had luck with my 1280 x in fresh water and as others have stated, salt water is more difficult but not impossible with the 1280 x.
When the surf comes over the coil it will sound off, but I got used to that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread