el cazador

K

kadams

does any one know a general location of the el cazador wreck off the louisiana coast I stayed at a hotel in grand isle in about 94 and ran into a salvage diver that told me he was salvaging a spanish wreck for the fisherman that found it and he pointed to a barge he said was helping with the work it was not that far offshore of the island, at the time i was not treasure hunting and did not pay that much attention i would like to do some metal detecting on the beach in close proximity to the wreck anyones help would be appreciated

thanks ken

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't know the exact location but the El Cazador is off the Southwest Pass in 300' of water near lat. 28-40, lon. 89-30. It is almost impossible for coins to wash ashore from this point.

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Their recovery store is located in my home town, Grand Bay, Al, in the old post office.

They have a huge cannon in the front room still submerged and you can see the piles of coins as they go through the restoration process. The finders of the wreck, Capt Jerry Murphy and family, were super nice people. They gave me a lot of their time as I asked lots of questions. I even walked away with a small Reale.

El Cazador sailed from Vera Cruz < Mexico for New Orleans carrying 400000 minted silver Reales and 50000 smaller Reales. Its sail date was 1/11/1784. It was discovered by Capt Murphy on 8/2/1993.

The phone for their shop is 251-865-0128.

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread