What's new

Unexpected and Unsettling Find

Nice to see Facebook used in such a positive way.
 
Cats and dogs are so commonly dumped and it is just heartbreaking. One of my office locations years ago was in a state park and parks are common locations for the heartless people who abandon animals. They need to be rescued quickly before they become roadkill, coyote prey in the case of cats, or succumb to the elements. The last cat I found was a beautiful male Russian Blue who became a sweet house pet, after I removed about a hundred ticks, and like your cat, came to sleep beside my face, as have so many over the years. It took me a year to recover from his passing due to acute kidney failure. Then I adopted two rescued strays, one nearly unadoptable. I can't imagine a situation so dire that I would consider abandoning them. BTW, the MD legislature passed a bill a few years ago to make it easier to include care for our pets, I believe as a codicil to a will.
 
Thank you Cactusman.

We should always try to live by Mark Twain's admonition to "Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest".

You are one of the good guys.
 
Tom in CA..... Master of the obvious.
This was posted in General Discussion.... not metal detecting legal issues. Sometimes you gotta stay in your lane and not go off with inane comments.


And as for Cactusman.... you sir, I, and we here at Tnet, hold you in the highest regard..... Nomination for Honorable Mention to be submitted.

I agree 100%. If returning some little ring merits an honorable mention, then it should not be denied for saving a poor helpless animal. How do we make that nomination?
 
Click on the little black triangle, bottom left of the OP....then state our case to the Mods
 
Click on the little black triangle, bottom left of the OP....then state our case to the Mods

Thank you! I clicked on that little triangle and got a dialogue box with the ominous message "Only to be used to report spam, advertising messages and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts." Am I missing something?

I realize that this is a treasure hunting site and banners and honorable mentions apply to metal detecting - but strongly feel that saving a dog's life deserves recognition.
 
Well I suppose you could also click on the Nominate Banner icon.... which I forgot the difference between the two. My bad
 
Well I suppose you could also click on the Nominate Banner icon.... which I forgot the difference between the two. My bad

Done! Happy to nominate cactusman for honorable mention and show my respect for him in saving this poor dog.
 
Nice work! Our 4 dogs and 4 cats are all rescues. They have character!

Character indeed. My strongest leaper of a cat follows me to the bathroom and leaps from the toilet tank to the top of my head. Try to maintain your balance while standing and peeing with a cat sitting on your head.
 
Cactus, what you did was the actions of a hero. That type of kindness is epic. Thank you for being that person who didn’t just ride on.
Banner!

I could not have slept in my bed at night if I had just ridden on. When I briefly left the dog to try to see if someone from fire department could help, I told it that I was going to get it help, and that I would be back, and I did just that. But I don't consider that anything others wouldn't do. Thankfully those ladies, with the help of the directions from my wife showed up, and the dog is continuing to do well. I heard that it is going in for a vet appointment and it looks like there are already some people ready to adopt it.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind posts.
 
Hi, Fluffy the pet dog does nothing wrong . Waggy tail and licks for all when around his owner . Can become a sly cunning killer then he gets out . Natural instinct High order predator just like man. Domestic dogs kill more wildlife and farm animals than wild predator.They've known to kill and even eat children. My family over the years has lost more lambs to domestic dogs than any wild animal. Once any dog has a taste for blood it will kill again. Just be careful what stray you decide to help. Be Warned TP
 
I could not have slept in my bed at night if I had just ridden on. When I briefly left the dog to try to see if someone from fire department could help, I told it that I was going to get it help, and that I would be back, and I did just that. But I don't consider that anything others wouldn't do. Thankfully those ladies, with the help of the directions from my wife showed up, and the dog is continuing to do well. I heard that it is going in for a vet appointment and it looks like there are already some people ready to adopt it.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind posts.

That's wonderful that he may already have a home with a loving family. Great find awesome return!
 
Hi, Fluffy the pet dog does nothing wrong . Waggy tail and licks for all when around his owner . Can become a sly cunning killer then he gets out . Natural instinct High order predator just like man. Domestic dogs kill more wildlife and farm animals than wild predator.They've known to kill and even eat children. My family over the years has lost more lambs to domestic dogs than any wild animal. Once any dog has a taste for blood it will kill again. Just be careful what stray you decide to help. Be Warned TP

? ? ? Um... :/

This isn't the "out back" mate.
 
Hi, Fluffy the pet dog does nothing wrong . Waggy tail and licks for all when around his owner . Can become a sly cunning killer then he gets out . Natural instinct High order predator just like man. Domestic dogs kill more wildlife and farm animals than wild predator.They've known to kill and even eat children. My family over the years has lost more lambs to domestic dogs than any wild animal. Once any dog has a taste for blood it will kill again. Just be careful what stray you decide to help. Be Warned TP

? ? ? Um... :/

This isn't the "out back" mate.
I was gonna say maybe in good ole Aussieland, lol.

There are packs of wild/stray/abandoned dogs running around in the states and occasionally they do attack people and on rare occasions even kill. I haven't heard of any cases over here of any actual man eating (or children eating) dogs though. Coyotes are the biggest threat to livestock over here I would think, besides groundhog holes. At least it was for me when I worked a farm. I don't know about out west.
 
I hate getting eaten by a dog.

Ruins my day. :P
 
This has been a sick problem in the US since I can remember; we often caught city folks dumping dogs out in the country. They often dumped them next to cattle truck access gates, sometimes they would get really brave and dump at the main gates. Seen a few who left a large pan of dog food on the side of the road.

The few we could catch we would and local police would get them.

Never seen a stray or dump dog that could be trusted, seen them once pack up near the Del Rio ranch and they just killed for fun, took down 9 calf’s before they could be shot.

Junction ranch we had the same issue but the packs of coyotes there would kill them, pretty sure they protected livestock because we never lost a single one there. Father did not allow killing coyotes at that ranch either, said it was free labour. LOL only seen yotes do this at a few other ranches, water must have been polluted. LOL

But if you could save one, no one got hurt and your ready to take on that new responsibility into your life then good on you.
 
Good job, cactusman. In the past, I dealt with people who would take dogs and dump them in the country. Their reasoning was 'Well, we couldn't keep it anymore, so we took it to the country because we figured it would find a good home with some kind farm family'. Seriously. Never the case I knew of, as the dogs usually went to runnin cattle, and got shot by the kind farm or ranch family.
 
The really dangerous ones are the wild packs of chihuahuas!:tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom