Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Slovenia
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the title says, I was metal detecting in a field by my house in Slovenia. I have already found a couple silver coins there from the Austro-Hungarian empire and figured I'd comb through it some more.
I got a nice signal made a plug and out popped a very very unexpected 1912 D barber dime. My mind was and still is blown that such a nice US coin was found in a random field so far away from its home :headbang:

Do you guys have any idea if I should clean the dried dirt off or just leave it as is? I'm hesitant to run it under water. Maybe I could pick at it gently with a toothpick?

barber 1912d.jpg
barber2.jpg
20200311_193155.jpg

Upvote 17

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! I can't even find one and I live in America. For cleaning advice... lets just say I'm not the person to ask. :laughing7:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice coin. I'd have no problem running it under water and cleaning it up with a soft toothbrush and soap.

Grats on a great recovery!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Looks to be in pretty nice shape. It's not a rare date/mintmark. Even in Extremely Fine grade it's only $23 retail. However, I would not use a tooth pick or even a toothbrush. Just run it under warm water and pat it with your finger. The dirt should come off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start out by soaking it in some hot soapy water for a 1/2 hour or so. Then use a real soft bristle toothbrush to remove the dirt in all the cracks. Pat dry and then evaluate if it looks the way you want it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would gently clean it it's up to you if you like the dug look or the clean look. Great find

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won't hurt the coin by gently washing it in soap and water.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. I always run mine under water and rub the dirt off very lightly. That is all the cleaning I do though. I like to remember the coins the way they came out of the ground.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a really nice one and it travelled a really long distance! That makes it even better. I'd use baking soda and water to get it nice and shiny but some people on here would not agree with that!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Excellent find! I would clean it first with soaking in warm water for 15 minutes. Then I would use cotton swabs and acetone too clean further. That should clean almost as much as you could. Repeat with acetone and cotton swabs as necessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread