What's new

unidentified medallion solved

shattercane

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
A friend dug this item at a site where dances were held in the early 1900's. Some of it is missing but what is left has a K on the left and a K below the face with a pitchfork crossing the face. I hope it is not as evil as it looks but does anyone out there have an idea what it might be. A magnet does not stick to it.
 

Attachments

  • K-joker 1.webp
    K-joker 1.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 489
  • K-joker 2.webp
    K-joker 2.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 484
Re: unidentified medallion

Since it has 2 K's on it, right off hand I'd say a vintage Klu Klux Klan token, but it could be some type of Haiti voodoo token. I've blown up your original pic, and did a sharp contrast, and does it have the letter HAIT at the top, and some other script at the bottom that looks like it begins with a C? Interesting find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • K-joker 1.webp
    K-joker 1.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

We need better close up shots front and back if there is anything there!!! Chug
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Chug and Red said:
We need better close up shots front and back if there is anything there!!! Chug
Chug, there is nothing visible on the back but some type of gold plating. Breezy blew the picture up and showed more detail than our picture. The face, collar and head-dress look like a jester. There is a K below the heart at the bottom of the face.
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

After looking at it again, I see it is a scepter instead of a pitchfork, which would go along with the Jester/Joker theme. In that case, it could be a brass amusement park or casino token. I know the one pictured below is not a match, but yours could be a vintage version of this more modern one. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • f226funspot.webp
    f226funspot.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 685
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Breezie said:
After looking at it again, I see it is a scepter instead of a pitchfork, which would go along with the Jester/Joker theme. In that case, it could be a casino token of some type. Breezie
Thankyou for your reply and your patience with me. I am new at this and just figuring out what works best. Could it be some kind of token from a carnival or circus? WE are grateful for your help.
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

shattercane said:
Breezie said:
After looking at it again, I see it is a scepter instead of a pitchfork, which would go along with the Jester/Joker theme. In that case, it could be a casino token of some type. Breezie
Thankyou for your reply and your patience with me. I am new at this and just figuring out what works best. Could it be some kind of token from a carnival or circus? WE are grateful for your help.

Yeppers, carnival, circus, amusement park, arcade, etc. and the K K is probably the name of the place. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Breezie said:
shattercane said:
Breezie said:
After looking at it again, I see it is a scepter instead of a pitchfork, which would go along with the Jester/Joker theme. In that case, it could be a casino token of some type. Breezie
Thankyou for your reply and your patience with me. I am new at this and just figuring out what works best. Could it be some kind of token from a carnival or circus? WE are grateful for your help.

Yeppers, carnival, circus, amusement park, arcade, etc. and the K K is probably the name of the place. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
The site where this was found is near a town that had a fairly large carnival. With your and Chugs help we have decided this is where it came from and feel this mystery has been tolved. Thankyou both.
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Its your decision on when you think it is solved Although the face on what breezie posted is similar, I still think it is different, it almost looks like a scull with 2 swords through it and a heart below the Scull!! i see the on the left side!!! HH Chug
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Looks like a trident to me I see a barb on each point. Yep trident!

Possible mardi gras doubloon :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

part of Mardis Gras "krewe" badge ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Probably gold plated pot metal. What state was it found?
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

bigcypresshunter said:
Probably gold plated pot metal. What state was it found?
Oklahoma. I think you are right BCH. Pot metal.
 
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

Kansas Karnival Krewe Founded 1894 . Mardi Gras type event on the streets :icon_jokercolor:. It was discontinued in 1903 because some activities became to boisterous and routous.There is info out there that gives different dates all very close - but all I saw did say it ended in 1903. Interesting find!
 

Attachments

  • kkk token.webp
    kkk token.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0
Re: unidentified medallion

tink said:
Kansas Karnival Krewe Founded 1894 . Mardi Gras type event on the streets :icon_jokercolor:. It was discontinued in 1903 because some activities became to boisterous and routous.There is info out there that gives different dates all very close - but all I saw did say it ended in 1903. Interesting find!
I think you got it Tink! It was found in Oklahoma but very close to the Kansas line and the joker on this matches the picture you found. I am going to mark this one solved after having somewhat give up on it. THANKYOU!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I understand some of this one is missing but I question if It was ever round like the others found. You can read that others have had holes in them as in the pic but I'm not sure this one did.Maybe it was like the first ones made :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
tink said:
I understand some of this one is missing but I question if It was ever round like the others found. You can read that others have had holes in them as in the pic but I'm not sure this one did.Maybe it was like the first ones made :icon_sunny:
Its a little different, there is no K, nothing on the backside but I think its close enough to call it solved. Pot metal corrodes that way underground. The others with the holes appear to be brass. You can keep looking for a gold metal plated pot metal version if you wish. I would guess that it was made as a badge as Mark Parker said. This one even has a badge shape. I think the others are hanging medals or holed tokens.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom