Uniontown, PA lost silver cache

Spellmaniac

Greenie
Sep 13, 2022
I’ve heard here and there and listed on a couple websites about Confederate raiders in the late 1800’s burying silver bullion along Quebec Run Wild Area, about 3 miles from Laurel Caverns. Ive heard someone actually found a bar before. Just curious if anyone knows more specifics on this. I just got a great metal detector I’d like to try out.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting any follow ups or written stories concerning this sir

magua

Sep 18, 2022
Clip from 1981 book by MIchael Henson, A guide to treasure in Pennsylvania. Caveat: His stories/details/listings vary from fairytale to fact, so research is highly needed on some of these subjects.
Fayette County:
"There is supposed to be a fabulous treasure of silver bars hidden in a caver near Uniontown. The amount of silver bars are supposed to weight a staggering one hundred fifteen tons. There are two stores as to how the loot got where it is. One says it was shipped by ox cart from Buffalo, New York, to prevent it from falling into the British during the war of 1812. The other tells that it was hi-jacked from a train in 1865, during the civil war. "

By that blurb...1865, civil war doesn't pan out...maybe a few years earlier in the war but not 1865. So it's possible but not in 1865, more so in the raids of Pa near the time of Gburg. BUT, that being said...that story is listed in the same blurb as the 1812 which is more probable. There's also history of the Kirk Gang in that area during the 1800s, including activity at "The Rover's Den" which was their hideout in the Dulaney's Cave.

I'm sure if I picked through this book, I'd find some other places in neighboring counties, etc that might have mention of stashed items. It's dialing in the time period, 1860s to 1810-1816 to be safe. That would be a time frame.

115 tons of silver = plenty of $. If someone's interested in working on some research. Quebec Run Wild Area is even more south from Uniontown, that's state land I believe, ONLY in some areas though. There's plenty of exploring to do in the region. If you look into it more, keep me in mind. It's a topic that I have looked at in the past.

There's a prior thread on here with some info also.
There's some good info on that thread to start research too. There's a newspaper clipping in the thread that looks almost identical to the blurb in Michael Henson's book...haha. It made me laugh when I read it. But look over that thread. A flood of information on there with multiple stories.

I can tell you that the depressions throughout the ground are from a great deal of spoil piles from mine testing sites. I'd be more inclined to think it is located in one of the many caves/caverns that can be found all over in that hilly area. Probably not buried.

OP
OP
Spellmaniac

Spellmaniac

Greenie
Sep 13, 2022
Clip from 1981 book by MIchael Henson, A guide to treasure in Pennsylvania. Caveat: His stories/details/listings vary from fairytale to fact, so research is highly needed on some of these subjects.
Fayette County:
"There is supposed to be a fabulous treasure of silver bars hidden in a caver near Uniontown. The amount of silver bars are supposed to weight a staggering one hundred fifteen tons. There are two stores as to how the loot got where it is. One says it was shipped by ox cart from Buffalo, New York, to prevent it from falling into the British during the war of 1812. The other tells that it was hi-jacked from a train in 1865, during the civil war. "

By that blurb...1865, civil war doesn't pan out...maybe a few years earlier in the war but not 1865. So it's possible but not in 1865, more so in the raids of Pa near the time of Gburg. BUT, that being said...that story is listed in the same blurb as the 1812 which is more probable. There's also history of the Kirk Gang in that area during the 1800s, including activity at "The Rover's Den" which was their hideout in the Dulaney's Cave.

I'm sure if I picked through this book, I'd find some other places in neighboring counties, etc that might have mention of stashed items. It's dialing in the time period, 1860s to 1810-1816 to be safe. That would be a time frame.

115 tons of silver = plenty of $. If someone's interested in working on some research. Quebec Run Wild Area is even more south from Uniontown, that's state land I believe, ONLY in some areas though. There's plenty of exploring to do in the region. If you look into it more, keep me in mind. It's a topic that I have looked at in the past.

There's a prior thread on here with some info also.
There's some good info on that thread to start research too. There's a newspaper clipping in the thread that looks almost identical to the blurb in Michael Henson's book...haha. It made me laugh when I read it. But look over that thread. A flood of information on there with multiple stories.

I can tell you that the depressions throughout the ground are from a great deal of spoil piles from mine testing sites. I'd be more inclined to think it is located in one of the many caves/caverns that can be found all over in that hilly area. Probably not buried.
I work at Laurel Caverns and can confirm there are at least 4 other caves on property that very little people know about. Very well could be more around here that may have been used.

magua

Sep 18, 2022
I work at Laurel Caverns and can confirm there are at least 4 other caves on property that very little people know about. Very well could be more around here that may have been used.
I have never been to Laurel Caverns! I was lucky enough to have visited and have the opportunity to look around Indian Caverns before it was permanently closed in the last few years as a bat habitat. I need to get down to see Laurel Caverns.

I'm going to assume that the various other caverns that you are aware of are off limits? Even for simple exploration or viewing? I'm involved with archaeology as well, so these areas have more interest than just treasure hunting and such.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread