Moonlight and Magnolias
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I dug this bottle at a site that could go back to the 1860-70s, but occupied up through the 1930-40s. Iā€™m trying to find a bit of information about the maker, if anyone could help track it down. Dug in Louisiana. Not a big bottle only holds a couple ounces.

13862093-451F-43F1-8698-990599852FDD.jpeg 91638D74-9E93-41E8-B358-D38393CC4CFE.jpeg C0E30737-5E0B-44DD-AAEB-C8A467A5A082.jpeg

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's got one of those weird overlapping letter logos on the front.
Always difficult to decipher.

I see FMCx maybe?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few of these have turned up over the years but, as far as I know, have not been reliably attributed. All I can tell you is this:

- All of the bottles appear to be small. I havenā€™t seen one taller than three inches.

- The glass always seems to be very thick.

- The suggested dating is sometime between the late 1800s and early 1900s

- Most people refer to them as perfume or druggist/apothecary bottles. Some folks believe they might be for smelling salts or something similar, and Iā€™m in that camp.

- The monogram is ā€˜RMCā€™. Some folks suggest the intended order might be ā€˜MRCā€™ but Iā€™m sure the dominant letter is the ā€˜Rā€™; that the ā€˜Cā€™ almost certainly stands for ā€˜Companyā€™; and the ā€˜Mā€™ might be for ā€˜Manufacturingā€™ or possibly some derivation from ā€˜Medicine/Medical/Medicinalā€™.

- The monogram is for the company that made the contents of the bottle, not the company that made the bottle itself. Your monogram is within a star, but bottles also exist without the star, as below. Thereā€™s no record of it being a registered trademark in the US, either with or without the star.

RMC.jpg

Upvote 0

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recovery.. so far I find bits of broken glass and hope one day to find some bottles also

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few of these have turned up over the years but, as far as I know, have not been reliably attributed. All I can tell you is this:

- All of the bottles appear to be small. I havenā€™t seen one taller than three inches.

- The glass always seems to be very thick.

- The suggested dating is sometime between the late 1800s and early 1900s

- Most people refer to them as perfume or druggist/apothecary bottles. Some folks believe they might be for smelling salts or something similar, and Iā€™m in that camp.

- The monogram is ā€˜RMCā€™. Some folks suggest the intended order might be ā€˜MRCā€™ but Iā€™m sure the dominant letter is the ā€˜Rā€™; that the ā€˜Cā€™ almost certainly stands for ā€˜Companyā€™; and the ā€˜Mā€™ might be for ā€˜Manufacturingā€™ or possibly some derivation from ā€˜Medicine/Medical/Medicinalā€™.

- The monogram is for the company that made the contents of the bottle, not the company that made the bottle itself. Your monogram is within a star, but bottles also exist without the star, as below. Thereā€™s no record of it being a registered trademark in the US, either with or without the star.

View attachment 1921060

thank you for your informative reply, great information there, I appreciate it! Yeah this one is small and thick glass as you described. Holds two fl ounces only. Fascinating. I like this one with the star design. We will certainly be back to eyeball this field again after itā€™s turned over :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS interestingly I have dug a blank bottle without the insignia exactly like the one you posted without the star. It is also a small, thick glass bottle holding only about two ounces.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS interestingly I have dug a blank bottle without the insignia exactly like the one you posted without the star. It is also a small, thick glass bottle holding only about two ounces.

Thanks. If only one would turn up with a label on it to solve the mystery.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread