What's new

Unknown Brass Piece - Civil War??

KYshooter

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
298
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this curious brass piece this afternoon at the site where I dug the CSA General Service Button last week. It is one of the deeper items that I have found on the site. It was approximately five inches deep, and most difficult to get to since it was beneath a network of rather large roots.

Here is the picture of one side of the piece. I have included an Indian Head penny for perspective. Notice the pattern on the surface ...
01-17-11-brass-piece-pattern-side.jpg


Here are close-ups of the pattern. Here is the upper portion. Notice the banner-like tabs at the bottom ... 8 of them ... each with a star.
01-17-11-brass-piece-upper-pattern.jpg


This is a close-up of the lower, separate, part of the pattern.
01-17-11-brass-piece-lower-pattern.jpg


And, finally, here is the reverse side. It seems to be smooth, absent any pattern. Interestingly, though, this side does have one tiny spot with some gold-colored gilt on it. I circled the spot ...
01-17-11-brass-piece-unmarked-side.jpg


So ... any ideas? Might this be a military item?

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Gracias,

KYshooter
 
Its an antique picture rail hanger.
 

Attachments

  • picture rail hook.webp
    picture rail hook.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 821
  • picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 809
  • Picture_hooks.webp
    Picture_hooks.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 822
  • picture moulding.webp
    picture moulding.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 700
  • picture rail hook.webp
    picture rail hook.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 799
  • picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 799
  • Picture_hooks.webp
    Picture_hooks.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 810
  • picture moulding.webp
    picture moulding.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Its an antique picture rail hanger.

Dude ... incredible!

How in the heck did you know that???
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • IMG_0002.webp
    IMG_0002.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
KYshooter said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Its an antique picture rail hanger.

Dude ... incredible!

How in the heck did you know that???
I remember a member posted one here before. We had a long debate,
...some members thinking it was a scissor hanger... but scissors will not fit. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,357111.0.html http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,357111.0.html

How awesome is that?!!! It's exactly the same as mine. Too cool. Thanks, again, for the ID.
 
Upvote 0
Re: He walks among us

:notworthy: ----> bigcypresshunter.

Next time the powerball gets up there I'm gonna bug you for some numbers there bigcypresshunter.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom