✅ SOLVED Unknown Gema Remote Control

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's an odd one. It looks like a garage door opener, but it was made by Gema and they don't make garage doors. It also has 4 directions instead of just up and down.

Any thoughts?
remote1.JPG
remote2.JPG
remote3.JPG
remote4.JPG

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suspect that it's a remote control unit from one of Gema's older
powder coating controllers. From the look of the design, I'd guess
it's from the early/mid 1970's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The company is GEWA not GEMA and they still make the IR-4SB. You can set the 4 channels for anything you like and they're available with customized buttons to help indicate function. You could use that one for anything that needs four directions of movement... an electric travelling winch/hoist for example.

Gewa.jpg

Edit: I believe the company that makes them is actually 'Abilia' and 'GEWA' is the name for their connectivity technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^^ Good ID.
And if you ever really need a 4-channel infra-red remote, I can build you one from scratch for about $10, and still make a profit. :)
The ad that Red-Coat posted wants $275. If US dollars, that is a total rip-off. (Unless the case is made out of gold, unicorns, or I suppose, meteorite.)
But, at least now you know what it is.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although you can buy one for whatever purpose, it seems that Abilia's core business for GEWA infra-red remotes relates to use by people with restricted mobility and other impairments or disabilities. Control of devices in the home, workplace, schools, supported accommodation and care homes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions