What's new

Unknown metal object (coin?)

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2006
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
435
Golden Thread
0
Location
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
A guy brought this in for me to look at today. He found it digging in NW Arkansas. I don't know if it's a coin, stamp, tag, or what. It's solid metal that has been stamped. The date (?) on it appears to be 1327 (?), the markings on it are pretty obscure but there looked to be perhaps an: L, U, M, but I won't swear to it. Its diameter is close to the size of a dime and it's about 1/8" thick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • coin6.webp
    coin6.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 573
  • coin5.webp
    coin5.webp
    100.2 KB · Views: 540
  • coin3.webp
    coin3.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 547
  • coin.webp
    coin.webp
    109.8 KB · Views: 565
Could you dust it with baby powder so the letters/date will be more readable? I've also used very watered down latex black or brown artist paint and let it run in the low areas. Take the photos while it is still wet, then wash off the paint. Interesting find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Could you dust it with baby powder so the letters/date will be more readable? I've also used very watered down latex black or brown artist paint and let it run in the low areas. Take the photos while it is still wet, then wash off the paint. Interesting find, Breezie

I don't have the item in front of me, it belongs to another person. People bring in a lot of items for me to examine in my occupation, but this one is completely out of my realm of expertise. I did suggest that he do a "rubbing" of it.

It felt and looked like a solid piece, not like two items crushed together (as in folding). I did examine this with microscopy, but I frankly didn't pay as much attention to the edges as I did the faces. There was no rust and no evidence of any steel, iron etc. The lettering on it appeared. to be 1327, not 1827.

I may see if I can get him to bring the item in some other time and I'll get better (macro) images of it.

I'm at a loss with this and really do appreciate all of your help.
 
Upvote 0
Neanderthal said:
Breezie said:
Could you dust it with baby powder so the letters/date will be more readable? I've also used very watered down latex black or brown artist paint and let it run in the low areas. Take the photos while it is still wet, then wash off the paint. Interesting find, Breezie

I don't have the item in front of me, it belongs to another person. People bring in a lot of items for me to examine in my occupation, but this one is completely out of my realm of expertise. I did suggest that he do a "rubbing" of it.

It felt and looked like a solid piece, not like two items crushed together (as in folding). I did examine this with microscopy, but I frankly didn't pay as much attention to the edges as I did the faces. There was no rust and no evidence of any steel, iron etc. The lettering on it appeared. to be 1327, not 1827.

I may see if I can get him to bring the item in some other time and I'll get better (macro) images of it.

I'm at a loss with this and really do appreciate all of your help.

OK, Big C has confused this a little. It is a lead bag/bail seal but not a lead cloth seal. Cloth seal's are constructed completely different to the one pictured here, which I can see is somewhat solid but does have the hole for a wire.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=bag+seal

Green check please :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Let's not forget these. :D As they look the most like his to me. ;D
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/baleseals.htm

I'll take the blame on clothe seal as I mentioned it first.And may have got BCH off on another path.But it's because there are two pieces in my hand upper right part from clothe seals is why I said that.Sorry folks
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
color=purple]OK, Big C has confused this a little[/color]. It is a lead bag/bail seal but not a lead cloth seal. Cloth seal's are constructed completely different to the one pictured here, which I can see is somewhat solid but does have the hole for a wire.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=bag+seal

Green check please :laughing9:
Ah OK. I said I didnt know much about seals. I thought it was a funny looking cloth seal. So you say neandrethals bag/bail seal has a hole for a wire? Can the wire be ferrous? Are bag seals folded over like a cloth seal? Are cloth seals one sided?

And one last question: Are bag/bail seals similar to 20th century lead RR, baggage and meter seals (like the picture I posted with the pliers)?
 
Upvote 0
By George, I believe you all have nailed it. It does appear to be a lead seal. I will pass on the information, thank you! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
The term "bulla" is/has been used for more than one type of seal - and for an amulet and other things.

Here is the definition of a metal bulla: (from the encyclopedia Britannica)

The term bulla was eventually applied to seals made out of metal. Although the most typical form of bulla was made of lead, it was sometimes made of gold


Either way - its a seal, and a neat find.

Beth
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
Let's not forget these. :D As they look the most like his to me. ;D
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/baleseals.htm

I'll take the blame on clothe seal as I mentioned it first.And may have got BCH off on another path.But it's because there are two pieces in my hand upper right part from clothe seals is why I said that.Sorry folks
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

I tried to post that exact link last night but the site was down, so I used the UKDFD instead :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
CRUSADER said:
color=purple]OK, Big C has confused this a little[/color]. It is a lead bag/bail seal but not a lead cloth seal. Cloth seal's are constructed completely different to the one pictured here, which I can see is somewhat solid but does have the hole for a wire.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=bag+seal

Green check please :laughing9:
Ah OK. I said I didnt know much about seals. I thought it was a funny looking cloth seal. So you say neandrethals bag/bail seal has a hole for a wire?yes, normally 2 channels, 1 for each end of the wire Can the wire be ferrous? Normally iron based, but out of the thousands I have, only a handful show any signs the wire was there!Are bag seals folded over like a cloth seal? No, most of them I guess are cast with the holes insistu. Are cloth seals one sided? Not always, some are, some are not.

And one last question: Are bag/bail seals similar to 20th century lead RR, baggage and meter seals (like the picture I posted with the pliers)? Yes.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom