Unknown metal object (coin?)

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
A guy brought this in for me to look at today. He found it digging in NW Arkansas. I don't know if it's a coin, stamp, tag, or what. It's solid metal that has been stamped. The date (?) on it appears to be 1327 (?), the markings on it are pretty obscure but there looked to be perhaps an: L, U, M, but I won't swear to it. Its diameter is close to the size of a dime and it's about 1/8" thick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• coin6.jpg
    coin6.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 554
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 529
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 527
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 542
I don't know if it's lead or silver...it feels like one or the other. It is heavy. The patina on it has a rather "waxy" luster to it.

Upvote 0
As I've said previously, you can often identify a metal by its oxidation characteristics. To me, this object appears to have classic (and very old) Pure-lead patina (oxide) on it. Therefore, it's probably a lead seal. There was a discussion of such objects here recently. BigCypressHunter found the US Patent for one type, and posted it in that discussion.

Upvote 0
Can't believe no said Bag/Bail Seal :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0
I thought about it being a stamp, but it is stamped/imprinted on both sides (with different markings). Timekiller, I will see if I took pics of the edge, but am pretty sure that I didn't get any detailed ones. Those are indention's on the edges, linear furrows on all four sides.

Upvote 0
I dont know much about seals but isnt it just folded over that way? If its soft lead, I would imagine it could be squeezed or hammered to any shape. I agree the shape does not look like the standard round bag seal but the lettering looks like a seal. I think they can be any shape. Its possible you may even find the same lettering if you search the database I posted.

Upvote 0
Neanderthal said:
I thought about it being a stamp, but it is stamped/imprinted on both sides (with different markings). Timekiller, I will see if I took pics of the edge, but am pretty sure that I didn't get any detailed ones. Those are indention's on the edges, linear furrows on all four sides.

Bag seals are nearly always double sided :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Neanderthal said:
I think the linear furrows are caused by the piece being folded over. As Cru said they are usually embossed/imprinted on both sides.

Upvote 0
forgot, it has a date 1827 on it :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Bigcypresshunter wrote:
> I dont know much about seals but could someone have squeezed 2 seals together or was it just folded over that way?

Years ago, I got see see a demonstration of the use of a hand-held lead seal "crimping tool." It resembled a Notary's embossed-seal press (used to impress a raised-mark seal into a paper document). The seal crimping tool somewhat resembles a pair of pliars. Each of the two flat "jaws" of the tool contains a die-face. You place the folded blank soft-lead seal disc over the closure-wires, and use the tool to firmly crimp the disc onto the wires.

Please note, the text above describes the very-old method. Later versions of the seal (such as in the US Patent-diagram you posted), simply had two holes for the wires to be fed through the soft-lead disc ...rather than folding the disc over the wires.

Attaching the seal with a simple hand-held crimper is why so many such seals are marked "off-center." Aesthetic perfection wasn't the intended result. Quick-&-easy completion of the task was the goal.

> If its soft lead, I would imagine it could be squeezed or hammered to any shape.

That is why soft-lead was the preferred material for such seals. When you intend to crimp something using a simple hand-tool, you select the softest metal which is suitable to the job. Soft-lead (also known as Pure-lead) is the softest metal ...easily pressed/imprinted by just squeezing it with a hand-tool.

Upvote 0
I was trying to account for the "linear furrows". Its probably because the cloth seal was folded over.

I dont think neandrethals is the wire type, as shown in this pic, but here is a seal crimper cannonballguy describes that embosses both sides of lead seals..

Attachments

• lead seals.jpg
    lead seals.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 405
  • lead seals.jpg
    lead seals.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
Look closely for rust spots from a wire. Here is the cloth seal (no wire)thats folded over and squeezed.

Attachments

• lead seal before attached.jpg
    lead seal before attached.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 388
  • lead seal before attached.jpg
    lead seal before attached.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back