What's new

Unknown object I found

bmartin0693

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
280
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a true story. I have a beach house at Cherry Grove Beach, which is minutes from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Last summer, I was sitting at this one spot on the beach for the past couple of days 8) and I always like walking down the beach with my girlfriend. We walked and found many beautiful shells. One day, I was walking back to my beach chair and, stuck in the ground tip up, I about stepped on this object. I guess the high tide from the night before brought this on shore. It sure would've hurt going in to my foot :angry2:. I have no clue what it is really or composed of. However, I have made some observations. There are a combination of colors, from a light brownish gray on one side to a darker coloration on the other side. Also, tiny spots and lines are clearly visible throughout the object and they are a yellowish white to a light orange in color. I measured it to be a little over 3.0 inches long and weighs 28 grams or exactly 1 ounce. I don't know many people that would know how to classify this. The question, I'm wondering is: has anybody seen anything similar to this object and/or has an idea what it is? If the image is too blurry I can upload some new pictures. I will be very thankful to hear your opinion and thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • Unknown side 1.webp
    Unknown side 1.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Unknown side 2.webp
    Unknown side 2.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,102
Upvote 0
I'm not sure but, the colorings may be due to the saltwater. Your pics are very large. Is there a way you could reduce the size and upload more pics when it's dried off? Otherwise, it looks very nice.
 
JOHUNT said:
I'm not sure but, the colorings may be due to the saltwater. Your pics are very large. Is there a way you could reduce the size and upload more pics when it's dried off? Otherwise, it looks very nice.

Yea, I think the salt water changed it or something. It seems very old. I'll work on getter that picture smaller. It should have cropped already. Thanks for looking.
 
Looks like a nice large Triangle point. Definitely a Arrowhead or Knife blade. Woodland period 500AD to 1000AD............................nice find................GTP............


PS.....Welcome to the Forum........ i'm from Pa. here.... Look forward to seeing what else you find. I would keep looking throughout that are you found that. You could find more........
 
Get-the-point said:
Looks like a nice large Triangle point. Definitely a Arrowhead or Knife blade. Woodland period 500AD to 1000AD............................nice find................GTP............


PS.....Welcome to the Forum........ i'm from Pa. here.... Look forward to seeing what else you find. I would keep looking throughout that are you found that. You could find more........

That has been the largest arrowhead I have found. I still don't know what it is made of, it doesn't quite look like the other arrowheads I have.
 
Road Dog said:
Could be speckled Rhyolite from the looks of it.

You may be right. Rhyolite is common in NC and SC too. You think it is rare enough to get atleast $50 for?
 
nice find, pretty lithics!
 
Nice artifact find. I would say it is worth 50 bucks to the right collector. I say knife, and it looks around 3 inches long. Thanks for posting your find.
 
bmartin,
I hope you don't mind, I downloaded your pics and added them with a different tone. I think it shows the texture a little better. It is a very nice point! I have one very similar in shape/size that I found up in NY. When I pull my collection out of storage, I'll post pics.
redo1.jpg

redo2.jpg
 
Is that a huge meadow wood ?
 
JOHUNT said:
bmartin,
I hope you don't mind, I downloaded your pics and added them with a different tone. I think it shows the texture a little better. It is a very nice point! I have one very similar in shape/size that I found up in NY. When I pull my collection out of storage, I'll post pics.

I like them pics, they show detail on the surface much better. Thanks!
 
flintmel said:
Is that a huge meadow wood ?


Nope do not believe it is. Meadow-woods are more defined then this piece and have distinctive notching at the base. This piece has hafting chips at the base. This was not deliberate. It was caused when they hafted the blade. If it were a preform it would not have those chips. If it were notched it would show the low level side notch meadow-woods are known for...........................GTP.....
 
"I think the salt water changed it or something"

All my finds are found on a salt water beach, and the salt water hasn't changed anything that doesn't already happen in fresh water or the ground.

Rich.
 
Looks like paleo work on that to me, including that nipple on middle of the base and what look like auricles to me. But what do I know?! Boom.
 
Here are three more pics. You might can see a notch near the base on pic3 and I think that it was notched to attach to a spear or knife. :icon_scratch: I'm no expert. Thanks for your opinions and for looking.
 

Attachments

  • Angle1.webp
    Angle1.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 537
  • Angle2.webp
    Angle2.webp
    36 KB · Views: 544
  • Angle3.webp
    Angle3.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 540
Looks like a large blade with the base broke off. Could be a Savannah River or Morrow Mountain, maybe even a crude snap base Kirk. Either way, pretty cool find on the beach. Should keep looking around down there!
 
dlos said:
Looks like a large blade with the base broke off. Could be a Savannah River or Morrow Mountain, maybe even a crude snap base Kirk. Either way, pretty cool find on the beach. Should keep looking around down there!

How much would a blade like this be worth? I have no clue how to price this......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom