What's new

Unknown object I found

bmartin0693

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
280
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a true story. I have a beach house at Cherry Grove Beach, which is minutes from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Last summer, I was sitting at this one spot on the beach for the past couple of days 8) and I always like walking down the beach with my girlfriend. We walked and found many beautiful shells. One day, I was walking back to my beach chair and, stuck in the ground tip up, I about stepped on this object. I guess the high tide from the night before brought this on shore. It sure would've hurt going in to my foot :angry2:. I have no clue what it is really or composed of. However, I have made some observations. There are a combination of colors, from a light brownish gray on one side to a darker coloration on the other side. Also, tiny spots and lines are clearly visible throughout the object and they are a yellowish white to a light orange in color. I measured it to be a little over 3.0 inches long and weighs 28 grams or exactly 1 ounce. I don't know many people that would know how to classify this. The question, I'm wondering is: has anybody seen anything similar to this object and/or has an idea what it is? If the image is too blurry I can upload some new pictures. I will be very thankful to hear your opinion and thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • Unknown side 1.webp
    Unknown side 1.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Unknown side 2.webp
    Unknown side 2.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,102
Upvote 0
bmartin0693 said:
dlos said:
Looks like a large blade with the base broke off. Could be a Savannah River or Morrow Mountain, maybe even a crude snap base Kirk. Either way, pretty cool find on the beach. Should keep looking around down there!

How much would a blade like this be worth? I have no clue how to price this......

After seeing these pictures i am going to agree with Savannah river point. With that Brandon i'm going to pass. If it was a triangle point i would have purchased it but now after seeing these pictures and knowing that it is a broken based point the value on it is little, probably less then $5 IMO............GTP
 
Get-the-point said:
bmartin0693 said:
dlos said:
Looks like a large blade with the base broke off. Could be a Savannah River or Morrow Mountain, maybe even a crude snap base Kirk. Either way, pretty cool find on the beach. Should keep looking around down there!

How much would a blade like this be worth? I have no clue how to price this......

After seeing these pictures i am going to agree with Savannah river point. With that Brandon i'm going to pass. If it was a triangle point i would have purchased it but now after seeing these pictures and knowing that it is a broken based point the value on it is little, probably less then $5 IMO............GTP

Another person in geology at my school told me its from Morrow Mountain (rhyolite) and it's the oldest of it's era. Considering that it showed up on the beach after a strong storm and with held the chemical and physical changes from the ocean, its still a nice specimen with sharp edges. So I've had many different opinions. :dontknow: I will gladly keep it and put it in my display. I want to thank yall for looking.
 
Mart!! your new photo #1 tells me it was a barbed coner notched point befor it got broke into at least 4 pices.come on you guyes that are allways telling me i do not know what i am talking about. do it again if you think i am there again or am on the bulleye. please just do it with a good reasion why you think so. thank you if you respond eather way. Terry
 
tmodel said:
Mart!! your new photo #1 tells me it was a barbed coner notched point befor it got broke into at least 4 pices.come on you guyes that are allways telling me i do not know what i am talking about. do it again if you think i am there again or am on the bulleye. please just do it with a good reasion why you think so. thank you if you respond eather way. Terry

So you think the base is really missing. Because I see no evidence of that looks concave to me. I see a piece was freshly chipped away at the corners. But not the whole base. If it is missing, it looks like it would still attach to the end of a spear as is and if intentionally snapped.
 
ok Mart!! llt us start on left side go to right of point in #1 photo of last set. ear looks broken off leaving a break scar, the end of this scar is where i think the scar from base breaking starts and is the end of the notch for a barbed ear, base acarestarts norrow at ear scar and gets widder to the middle and then norrows down to a point this is where i thinkthetop of the right notch and the start of the anglescars where the right barbed ear broke off. that is why i think it is a broken barbed point.. also if theywere making a triangel point it would have bass flaked to look like one sides of the point. all the intened snap bass points i hace seenwere broke inside notches eaving ears and scar was almost the same size not wide on one side and thin on the other. this point would be hard to halft the bass is now. T yu
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom