Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Y'all,
Today, for a very short while, I was able to do a little swinging in a new area. I'm trying to put a date on it. I found a few marbles from the 1950s, and the rest was junk. I did eye-ball this bottle. It's a shame the top is broken. Can someone ID it for me, which will help to give me a time period guesstimate of the area.

Thanks in advance!
Southern Smiles :)
Breezie
Old Bottle 1.jpg.JPG
Old Bottle 2.JPG

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found part of one literally just like that about half an hour ago. It is an Owens-Illinois bottle with the combined logo... I believe it was used from 1929 to 1954 (with exceptions of course). the number on the right hand side is the date code usually.

I could be wrong on this because I can't remember how to read the date code but I think the eight with no period would mean it is 1938... again, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I can't help with the glass but it's great to see you post again! HH & GL!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found part of one literally just like that about half an hour ago. It is an Owens-Illinois bottle with the combined logo... I believe it was used from 1929 to 1954 (with exceptions of course). the number on the right hand side is the date code usually.

I could be wrong on this because I can't remember how to read the date code but I think the eight with no period would mean it is 1938... again, I could be wrong.

Noah,
Cool! Amazing that you and I found the same bottle at basically the same day/time! Thanks for the company ID. Do you what it held? It almost looks like a poison bottle to me, but I'm not the bottle person, so I don't know.
:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's the left most bottle in the picture I attached, that would make it mold no. A-177 or A-2981.
Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 7.41.38 PM.png
This is from the "Pharmaceutical and Proprietary Division" section of the 1930-35 Owens-Illinois bottle catalogue. https://sha.org/bottle/oi1933.htm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, wow, thanks again Noah! That's the bottle. I can mark this one solved!!!
:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread