Unknown structure needs identifying.

Copper Frog

Greenie
Oct 16, 2022
Hello and welcome to my first thread. I'm a casual off-trail explorer and NOT a very good reader of trail signs, Spanish treasure markers, etc. In the past I've stumbled upon old mining operations (tunnels, pits), Indian ruins and the occasional obvious marker here and there. While exploring in the Mazatzal Mountains in central Arizona, I came across the structure shown in the pictures.

At first I didn’t notice the structure until I had passed it and glanced over my shoulder. The structure is on a downgrade on the forested north slope of the mountain I was exploring. What immediately struck me was the triangular formation of the “entrance” to the structure; it stood out as unusual.

• Pic 001 and 002 is a view of the structure from the side while looking west. Taking pictures in front and from below the structure was difficult due to the slippery and steep slope in front of it. I was also worried that parts of the structure could have been rigged to collapse if it were man-made.
• Pic 003 shows an interesting section (yellow) that could have broken free due to weathering of the stone, although I did look for the missing piece but couldn’t find it. The red arrow indicates the viewing direction for the detail shown in Pic 008 and Pic 009.
• Pic 004 is the front of the structure taken from as far back as I could get on the slope, which was probably about 3-4 feet away from the structure.
• Pic 005 may show some sort of capstone lodged into place if this is indeed man-made, but this is purely an assumption on my part.
• Pic 006 shows the bottom of the triangular feature.
• Pic 007 shows the apex of the triangular section.
• Pic 008 is the red arrow view from Pic 003. There seem to be wedged rocks/rollers under the section highlighted in yellow Pic 003 which made me think “man-made”.
• Pic 009 and Pic 010 show additional detail of the yellow highlighted area. Has the rock eroded naturally or is that a carved horsehead? Outline provided for clarity.
• Pic 011 is the stone “mantle” above the entrance. Entrance is on the right hand side of the picture.
• Pic 012 similar to pic 011 just a closer view.
• Pic 013 view looking up at the apex
• Pic 014 red lines shows intersection between the two leaning surfaces of the apex. Yellow circle shows sunlight filtering in from the mantel.
• Pic 015 Cross section view

The area above the structure was thinly forested and looked like rain and melted snow flow regularly down the slope which could have eroded away earth or additional rocks placed above the mantel. To my untrained eye, there were no other markers or pointers that would indicate a mine, cache or that something man-made was in the area. I'm not sure if this is an ancient mine entrance, cache location or natural formation, so any info or good ideas
001 Entrance Looking West.PNG
would be greatly appreciated. If it turns out to be nothing, so be it. The structure just adds extra spice to what was a pretty good day-long adventure!

Moderators: if this is posted in the wrong forum, please move. Thanks!

Attachments

• 002 Entrance Looking West.PNG
    002 Entrance Looking West.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 003 Features.png
    003 Features.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 004 Front View.PNG
    004 Front View.PNG
    453.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 005 Front View Feature.PNG
    005 Front View Feature.PNG
    452.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 006 Triangular Entrance Base.PNG
    006 Triangular Entrance Base.PNG
    424.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 007 Triangular Entrance Apex.PNG
    007 Triangular Entrance Apex.PNG
    446.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 008 View Looking East (red arrow view).PNG
    008 View Looking East (red arrow view).PNG
    419.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 009 View Facing East.PNG
    009 View Facing East.PNG
    403.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 010 View Facing East Horse Head.png
    010 View Facing East Horse Head.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 011 Mantel View From Above-  Wide.PNG
    011 Mantel View From Above- Wide.PNG
    276.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 012 Mantel View From Above - Close Up.PNG
    012 Mantel View From Above - Close Up.PNG
    465 KB · Views: 89
  • 013 View Looking Up.PNG
    013 View Looking Up.PNG
    428 KB · Views: 97
  • 014 View Looking Up Features.png
    014 View Looking Up Features.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Pic 015 Cross Section Drawing.PNG
    Pic 015 Cross Section Drawing.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 108

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would first try to determine if there any spanish signs/symbols in the area, and try to determine if the spanish or other mining groups were known or rumored to have been in the area. In the meantime, I would move this to the treasure signs/symbols forum.

smdog66

Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to my first thread. I'm a casual off-trail explorer and NOT a very good reader of trail signs, Spanish treasure markers, etc. In the past I've stumbled upon old mining operations (tunnels, pits), Indian ruins and the occasional obvious marker here and there. While exploring in the Mazatzal Mountains in central Arizona, I came across the structure shown in the pictures.

At first I didn’t notice the structure until I had passed it and glanced over my shoulder. The structure is on a downgrade on the forested north slope of the mountain I was exploring. What immediately struck me was the triangular formation of the “entrance” to the structure; it stood out as unusual.

• Pic 001 and 002 is a view of the structure from the side while looking west. Taking pictures in front and from below the structure was difficult due to the slippery and steep slope in front of it. I was also worried that parts of the structure could have been rigged to collapse if it were man-made.
• Pic 003 shows an interesting section (yellow) that could have broken free due to weathering of the stone, although I did look for the missing piece but couldn’t find it. The red arrow indicates the viewing direction for the detail shown in Pic 008 and Pic 009.
• Pic 004 is the front of the structure taken from as far back as I could get on the slope, which was probably about 3-4 feet away from the structure.
• Pic 005 may show some sort of capstone lodged into place if this is indeed man-made, but this is purely an assumption on my part.
• Pic 008 is the red arrow view from Pic 003. There seem to be wedged rocks/rollers under the section highlighted in yellow Pic 003 which made me think “man-made”.
• Pic 009 and Pic 010 show additional detail of the yellow highlighted area. Has the rock eroded naturally or is that a carved horsehead? Outline provided for clarity.
• Pic 011 is the stone “mantle” above the entrance. Entrance is on the right hand side of the picture.
• Pic 014 red lines shows intersection between the two leaning surfaces of the apex. Yellow circle shows sunlight filtering in from the mantel.

The area above the structure was thinly forested and looked like rain and melted snow flow regularly down the slope which could have eroded away earth or additional rocks placed above the mantel. To my untrained eye, there were no other markers or pointers that would indicate a mine, cache or that something man-made was in the area. I'm not sure if this is an ancient mine entrance, cache location or natural formation, so any info or good ideas View attachment 2051029 would be greatly appreciated. If it turns out to be nothing, so be it. The structure just adds extra spice to what was a pretty good day-long adventure!

Does not look like anything special

OP
OP
Copper Frog

Copper Frog

Greenie
Oct 16, 2022
I would first try to determine if there any spanish signs/symbols in the area, and try to determine if the spanish or other mining groups were known or rumored to have been in the area. In the meantime, I would move this to the treasure signs/symbols forum.
Not too far away (200 yards) is an area that looks like a arrowhead/tool factory area. The reason I describe the area as such, is because of all the knapped rocks and broken flakes everywhere. I don't known if was a knapping practice area or if tools were actually made there, but there are hundreds of broken rock pieces in that area. I have no idea if the two sites are connected.

With regards to moving the thread, it seems I'm locked out of editing, I don't know how to switch forums. Noob here

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are new to this stuff, go to the treasure signs/symbols subforum and read up so you can learn how to identify sites. Also, Sandy1's guide to treasure vault hunting is, in my opinion, required reading. Then in that same subforum you will want to read the thread on death traps. Your site looks very interesting. I'd be curious if I found it as well. I personally don't see anything, but I am terrible with seeing signs and symbols on these sites out west, and I am *assuming* that is where you are?
Here is where you want to be to learn about this stuff: https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-marks-signs.76/
Not too far away (200 yards) is an area that looks like a arrowhead/tool factory area. The reason I describe the area as such, is because of all the knapped rocks and broken flakes everywhere. I don't known if was a knapping practice area or if tools were actually made there, but there are hundreds of broken rock pieces in that area. I have no idea if the two sites are connected.

With regards to moving the thread, it seems I'm locked out of editing, I don't know how to switch forums. Noob here

OP
OP
Copper Frog

Copper Frog

Greenie
Oct 16, 2022
If you are new to this stuff, go to the treasure signs/symbols subforum and read up so you can learn how to identify sites. Also, Sandy1's guide to treasure vault hunting is, in my opinion, required reading. Then in that same subforum you will want to read the thread on death traps. Your site looks very interesting. I'd be curious if I found it as well. I personally don't see anything, but I am terrible with seeing signs and symbols on these sites out west, and I am *assuming* that is where you are?
Here is where you want to be to learn about this stuff: https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-marks-signs.76/
Just got done reading thru the "meat" of the Sandy1 guide...blew my mind, wow! Thanks for pointing me in that direction, bookmarked for future reference. And you assumed correctly, I'm out west -> AZ :laughing7:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got done reading thru the "meat" of the Sandy1 guide...blew my mind, wow! Thanks for pointing me in that direction, bookmarked for future reference. And you assumed correctly, I'm out west -> AZ :laughing7:
I have read it twice, that's how important it is. And I am surprised how much more I am picking up reading it the second time. His guide is, what I would call, the definitive guide. He could have written a book and charged big bucks for this information. We are forever indebted to Sandy1 for this work. The same goes for Gollum's guide to death traps. I was shocked the other day to see a guide to death traps written by a very famous treasure author is now going for about $500.

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800

The area above the structure was thinly forested and looked like rain and melted snow flow regularly down the slope which could have eroded away earth or additional rocks placed above the mantel. To my untrained eye, there were no other markers or pointers that would indicate a mine, cache or that something man-made was in the area. I'm not sure if this is an ancient mine entrance, cache location or natural formation, so any info or good ideas View attachment 2051029 would be greatly appreciated. If it turns out to be nothing, so be it. The structure just adds extra spice to what was a pretty good day-long adventure!

I don't know anything about treasure signs, but I can tell a well-done post when I see it. Scrolling through your pictures tells your story very well. It looks to me that it is natural, but if you were hiding treasure, isn't that what you would want? Good luck!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT PICTURES and GOOD LUCK Thanks for posting :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread