What's new

Unknown tag?

Coastie59

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
453
Reaction score
673
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, dug this tag at an old home site, is it a dog tag? Thx and HH
 

Attachments

  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    66 KB · Views: 456
WW2 Marine Corp tag. O is blood type and P is his religion Protestant
 
Upvote 0
Thx Earl....had know idea...thru some research I hope to return it to the family! Again thx!!!
 
Upvote 0
According to the California Death Index, there was an Abraham Lincoln Shelton born 16 Feb 1928 in TX, died 24 Jan 1979 in San Diego, CA. He would have been a bit young for WWII, but could have served in Korea or could have been in the Marines between WWII and Korea. Or...???
John in ID
 
Upvote 0
sure looks like a modern stamping
considering the font and being so clean and crisp
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Looks spot on for that period to me, I have a similar one from the coast guard that of course I can't find now that I'm looking for it. If I track it down I'll post a pic for comparison.
 
Upvote 0
I know a number of Marines that were able to lie about their age and go in. In 1944, 16 could have passed muster, so to speak. Wouldn't have taken too much convincing for the recruiting Sgt. that needed numbers.
 
Upvote 0
Thx Nola-Ken, would like to see that CG tag when u find it, I would like to contact the family if this is indeed a WWII Marine Corp dog tag.
 
Upvote 0
Might try taking the six numbers (service number) and send the information to or contact.

Marine Corps Heritage Foundation:
Col Ray Hord, USMC (Ret) VP of Program Development, hord@marineheritage.org
Ms. Jennifer Vanderveld, VP of marketing, venderveld@marineheritage.org
or Ms. Susan Hodges, VP of Admin. & Finance: hodges@marineheritage.org , or call (800) 397-7585

They should be able to point you to finding the relatives on record at CMC DC
 
Upvote 0
Coastie59, I did some websearching on your behalf, and found an email link for the daughter of your Marine Corps dogtag's owner. Important Note: posting an email address (with the @ character) on the internet exposes it to Spammers, so I won't post it. To get the daughter's email address, go to this website:
http://www.allthingscherokee.com/queries_board_00_02.html
and scroll about 2/3 down the page to her name (La Verne Shelton-Hill) and click on her name to send her an email.

Here is the info-request she posted at that website.

La Verne Shelton-Hill
Query: Family Name: Shelton: I am looking for information on my family genealogy on my father's father's side. My father was Abraham Lincoln Shelton born in Waco, Texas in 1928. My grandfather was Herman Shelton who I believe was also born in Texas in the 1900's. I have been told that my great, great grandfather was Cherokee. I also beleive that the roots began on the southeast coast of America with a union between Scotch-Irish immigrant and a Cherokee native. I would appreciate any information about my family roots.
Posted: February 2000
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom