What's new

Unknown

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Normally It's junk but, theres a pat. pend mark. So, question is, What was it used for? Judging by the "hinge" type look on the end it appears to have been used possibly as a flapper of some sort. What I can make out of the mark is "Oct 12th, 1897" Any clues??? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC00022.webp
    DSC00022.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC00023.webp
    DSC00023.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC00024.webp
    DSC00024.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC00025.webp
    DSC00025.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC00026.webp
    DSC00026.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 293
BioProfessor said:
Trunk latch.

Daryl
I think youre correct but I cannot find the patent.
 
Upvote 0
4-H, you checked this as solved way to early! I can NOT be a trunk latch. For one this it is the size of a penny. For another thing (more important) it closes (hinges) upon itself, not on an exterior fitting which a latch would use. There is a release lever to allow it to come unhinged, or possibly to adjust the distance between the two parts where they meet.

As bigcypresshunter says, it doesn't seem to match patents listed on Oct. 12, of that year. The two it might match however, are "thill fitting" (whatever that is?) or more likely, shoe stretcher. The protrusion on this thing would be the size of a corn or callous. Shoe stretchers today are often wood with various sizes of small inserts which can be removed and switched to accomodate various size corns or callouses. It may very well be that this was such an insert, but one which was adjustible by using the lever which is visible on the side. There also seems to be evidence of three prongs being broken off, one at the top and two on each side of the hinge, which might have conformed to the larger peice it was attached to. .
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a fold up handle for reel tape measure.
 

Attachments

  • 21058-1.webp
    21058-1.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
Taz, you got it!! J. G. Eddy's folding tape reel patented on that day! Well done. I knew this thing got the green check too early.
 
Upvote 0
Be careful with those green checks too early lol.

Do you know how many patents were issued Oct 12, 1897? ...a lot! I couldnt find it.

Nice ID.
 
Upvote 0
Here's the whole patent drawing to go with the link I posted above.
patents.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom