What's new

Unlikely find!

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went out to a city park/rec area. I'd walked one side of the river (running through the north-east side of town), and had seen a gravel bar on the other side... I went on line and found that there was a trail system on the other side too (yay!) which also led to an old mill site, and the views would be pretty if all else failed. Next day, I went out to the sand/gravel bar- less than a mile to get to from where I had to park my car. Lots of foot and dog prints (but I figure if someone's with their dog, they don't have as much 'looking at the ground' time as I do). First thing I found was a river-worn marble (always makes me smile). Next came a small quartz crystal (my first ever!), then a long time after that, the scruffy-looking point(double Yay!) Next came the small piece of amazonite and a nice, very clear worked piece of quartz! On these rivers around here, I don't expect much and keep my hopes low-- that way it's a real thrill if I do actually find something. In fact, I really expected to find more colonial stuff. And down-stream from the mill site, I expect to find buttons (they made Confederate uniforms- it was a woolen mill). So anyway- even though this piece has seen better days- and wasn't the prettiest point on the block to begin with, here it is, with the other things

002.webp 009.webp

It was a beautiful day and good fun to explore my new home-zone. Also, they're my first river finds down here! Thanks for looking and HH all! Yakker
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds Yak ! Looks like that will be a nice spot for you, everything from ancient minerals, to pre historic human artifacts, to 18th, 19th and early 20th century finds. HH
 
Nice finds Yak ! Looks like that will be a nice spot for you, everything from ancient minerals, to pre historic human artifacts, to 18th, 19th and early 20th century finds. HH

Yup indeed-- a bit of a smorgasboard! (so often the case with my hunts :laughing7: ) Yak
 
Nice! Gotta love a river, or creek with artifacts from many different time periods. Looks very promising, hopefully you can find more gravel bars. Thanks for the view, H.H.
 
Those are awesome finds! I have a blue shard similar to the one in your pic that I found on the Chattahoochee River bottom in my home city in Georgia last year...always wonder how old it is and there used to be a lot of mills there too. So cool to find the amazonite...really pretty! All of your finds are awesome and that river is like my creek...has stuff from different time periods in it...never know what you're gonna find next lol
 
I would definitely spend more time in that area that blue feathered edge pearl ware ceramic plate piece is early 1800's.. And used as an indicator by a lot of people for good metal detecting.

ForumRunner_20141214_230152.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks all- and thank you Gator! I'm always wondering from what era the china shards are- and now I've got at least one answer! VERY cool! I will be hunting the area as weather/water levels permit. So interesting to be pretty much smack in the city and yet on a relatively quiet river. I'll keep you all posted! Yak
 
Best of luck to you have a safe and happy Christmas
 
You broke the ice in your new area. I can't wait to see what you find at the old uniform factory. The area you are in is golden for metal detecting. Good luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom