What's new

Unusual big copper coin

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I dug this coin today and at first assumed it was a Large Cent. Same size and reading on the Etrac. Once I got it home and unwrapped it, I noticed it had a thick crust of dirt. After some gentle tooth picking I am able to see some detail, and I am stumped.

The other side of the coin is completely uncleaned, and I am going to leave it there for the time being. The side shown in the photograph is only partially clean. I am hoping someone recognizes this coin from what little detail there is to see.

Diameter is 28-29mm

Thank you,
Anthony
 

Attachments

  • what the heck.webp
    what the heck.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 717
can you get a pic of the bust? may help limiting it
 
Upvote 0
I just could not help it, I picked away carefully at the other side, and I think I see an eagle! This coin has me confused as heck to say the least. I took a better photo of the side pictured above as well as a photo of the eagle. I also outlined the eagle in a second photo to show you what I am seeing.
Thanks again,
Anthony
 

Attachments

  • what the heck2.webp
    what the heck2.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 689
  • what the heck3.webp
    what the heck3.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 673
  • what the heck3a.webp
    what the heck3a.webp
    57 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0
Looking around last night I saw some and thought the same thing. There are so many varieties that I am hoping to narrow down the date based on the details. I can see a zero undet the bird, so I hope that is the last number in the date.
Thank you,
Anthony
 
Upvote 0
I just found one of these a couple weeks ago! posted in today's finds, "russian 2 kopek coin". what are the chances?
 
Upvote 0
hessian raider said:
I just found one of these a couple weeks ago! posted in today's finds, "russian 2 kopek coin". what are the chances?

Mine appears to be an 1810 variety. When I started seeing detail I ran to your post hoping it was a match. Seems they changed the design almost every year, seems strange to me, but it helps ID the year.
Anthony

RelicHunterBob said:
Nice find. I always wonder how a coin like this ended up here.

HH

Bob K

Once upon a time this country used coins from 18 different countries I have heard. Coins were based on a metal(gold silver or copper) and weight. So no matter what origin a coin held, the value was easy to figure and they changed hands quite often. Here in Virginia many different currencies saw use. I have personally found Spanish, British, French Colonial, early American and now Russian coins from the colonial/eary American periods this year. There are many others out there to be sure.

If you ever make it to Williamsburg, there is a display in one of the museums with an impressive collection of early American and colonial currency. I saw it a couple years ago before I was into detecting, and now I really want to go back and see it again.

Anthony
 
Upvote 0
Oops, I forgot to update this posting. I have managed to see the date(with magnificationa nd some creative interpreting). The coin I found is indeed a Russian 2 Kopeck from 1830. Thank you to everyone for your help in solving this mystery!
Anthony
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom