What's new

Unusual Bones to Identify

Martingeetars said:
Parahippus leonensis?
Honestly, Martin, there are no horses or horse-relatives among the six mystery toe bones. Parahippus is an Early Miocene horse.
perissodactyl.unguals.webp​
 
These intrique me, Harry. You've created an interesting thread, at least to me.

If A, B and C are more closely related to each other than to D, E and F, are A, B and C from broader footed animals, and D, E, and F from narrower footed animals? The very broad A and C suggest possibly a fin or swimming adaptation.

The nails or claws in D, E and F suggest to me something more land-based. Wolf? Dire wolf?
 
Tuberale said:
These intrique me, Harry. You've created an interesting thread, at least to me.

If A, B and C are more closely related to each other than to D, E and F, are A, B and C from broader footed animals, and D, E, and F from narrower footed animals? The very broad A and C suggest possibly a fin or swimming adaptation.

The nails or claws in D, E and F suggest to me something more land-based. Wolf? Dire wolf?
Dire wolf claw cores are much more similar to the cat's in the line-drawing above.

Big clue: Three of these unguals or claw cores are from mammals, but three of them are NOT.
 
Okaaay . . . I had almost forgotten this thread. Here is the key to the identification of these claw cores. Thanks to all who participated!

unguals6.webp​
 
I have a question to ask and would like very much like to know what you people think. I live right where North Carolina, Georgia, Tenn all come together. I have a wonderful Indian Artifact collection and still hunt. My question is are there fossils in this area? I have picked up rocks of iron like metalic material, copper ore, and what was identified as small garnets and I once or twice a year pan for gold in White Co. Georgia and find tiny pin head sized nuggets and dust, The pin heads look so neat under x20 mag. I have found two meitors but never noticed a fossil in or out of the water. Are there any here and where would I look. We have thousands of branches and creeks and a few rivers here in the Mts. Some knowledge would be appreciated, Thanks
 
Harry Pristis said:
Okaaay . . . I had almost forgotten this thread. Here is the key to the identification of these claw cores. Thanks to all who participated!


​
Ya got me, Harry! I would never have guessed Giant Armadillo nor crocodile. I always thought crocodiles were Southern Hemisphere.

Those glyptotheres sure look similar to Giant Armadillos!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom