Unusual coin seated lion holding a key

Has anybody learned about collecting by inheriting a collection?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

dancollect

My dad was an avid treasure hunter and coin collector. I inherited his collection of coins 12 years ago. He found and purchased many coins over the years and did a wonderful job of identifying and grading most. After 12 years I still have quite a few left to identify. This is one of the many unusual coins I have to identify. Does anybody have any information on what it might be?

Attachments

• Lion holding key.JPG
    Lion holding key.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 810
OP
OP
D

dancollect

It's there to the right of the obverse (large, wide picture)

OP
OP
D

dancollect

Don ... Thanks for looking. It has me stumped as well. Dan

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I dont know what it is ....but I do know that a Lion holding a key is a very old symbol of the Bank of England

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
most likely it is a seal. take some clay or flour dough and make an imprint and see if it makes sense. Could also just stand in front of a mirror and read it too. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure about that. Just looks like an old coin to me

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
djui5 said:
Not sure about that. Just looks like an old coin to me

I agree.

If it were a seal die, the main designs would be incuse (below the surface), so that they would be raised on the wax seal. Also, if it were a double-sided seal, it would almost certainly be thicker, and there would be some evidence on the edge of where it pivoted in a fob or similar holder.

A couple of people have mentioned that the letters appear reversed, as on a seal. There are also some fraternal and occult items with reversed lettering. But again, I don't think that's the case. However, just for the heck of it, here it is with the lettering reversed:

Attachments

• Lion holding key.JPG
    Lion holding key.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 361

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions