miss strik.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 371

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Its a die crack, and a major one at that. Definately hang on to it. While they don't command a HUGE premium, there is probably someone out there who would be interested in it for their cracked die collection, if you're ever interested in selling it that is. :)

J

JDSCOIN

Hello, I was about to agree with Jeffro when I looked at it a little closer.

It may not be a "die crack" error, but actually a lamination error. In error collecting terms, it is not a 'major' error, but really a minor to moderate one. But Jeffro was right about the fact that as an error it would not be worth a lot. It is good to have as an example of that type of error coin just so that can tell the difference between this kind and another.

We can tell better just what kind of error this is if you can post an image which is larger and shows more detail of the coin. Lamination errors of this kind are fairly common. If the 'line' on the coin is solid and shows up as MORE metal on the coin, then the line would be called a die crack error. If the 'line' on the coin is flakey and/or has a groove going down into the coin, as if there is some metal missing, then it is called a lamination error.

With a lamination error of this kind, you may be able to pry or flake off a small piece of it off with a fingernail; or some of it may have already come off before. But keep on looking for those errors and learn as much as you can about the different kinds of errors that they are. You never know, you may find something really good if you keep looking!

And, your odds are better when you actually know what you are looking for! I know lots of people who did not know what they had when they had something worth keeping. But since they did not know that it was worth anything at the time, they ended up losing what they should have kept. Don't let that happen to you. Best wishes and happy hunting!

JDSCOIN

OP
OP
bcs123

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
heres a better pic ...i think your right about the lamination error..i was reading up on it and it seems to fit the build...the line is raised and aperes to be flaking off like u said think you for your info

Attachments

• mis strik 2.jpg
    mis strik 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 352

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hmmm... 1944 must have been a good year for lamination errors. Here's another one in the "Coin Roll Hunting" section:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,56865.0.html
According to the "Red Book", cartridge cases (empty artillery shells) were salvaged for coinage of 1944 through 1946. Interestingly, it also adds that "Although the color was slightly different for uncirculated specimens, the coins proved satisfactory in every respect."
HH,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread