Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting this morning close to a fresh water pond where a lot had been cleared for a new home. Top soil was already gone. Just hard packed sand. Noticed an area of broken shells. I assume they were fresh water clams so close to the pond. I detected the area and found a couple of musket balls right on the surface but this copper strap of sort was down much deeper in the very hard pack sand. It sure looks old to me. I thought 1600's maybe? Reminds me of the Mid evil caldrons or kettle. So I found this reproduction Viking kettle image online and thought wow, Viking were suppose to have visited Cape Cod. Clear fresh water was a attraction to sea travelers. Also has a strange crisscross marking on one side. Weighs 3.65 oz. Made with thick copper sheeting. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• copper strap 1.jpg
    copper strap 1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 86
  • copper strap 2.jpg
    copper strap 2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0053 (2).JPG
    DSC_0053 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • viking kettle.jpg
    viking kettle.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 10

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool riveted copper piece.
Sure has some age to it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting this morning close to a fresh water pond where a lot had been cleared for a new home. Top soil was already gone. Just hard packed sand. Noticed an area of broken shells. I assume they were fresh water clams so close to the pond. I detected the area and found a couple of musket balls right on the surface but this copper strap of sort was down much deeper in the very hard pack sand. It sure looks old to me. I thought 1600's maybe? Reminds me of the Mid evil caldrons or kettle. So I found this reproduction Viking kettle image online and thought wow, Viking were suppose to have visited Cape Cod. Clear fresh water was a attraction to sea travelers. Also has a strange crisscross marking on one side. Weighs 3.65 oz. Made with thick copper sheeting. Any comments welcome. Thanks.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread