Unusual mark inside ring?

Disaster Factory

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father recently showed me an old 14k gold jade ring that his father brought back from China after World War II, and we were trying to identify a strange marking on the inside. I'm unsure if it's a hallmark or an assayer's mark or even a date mark. I've searched everywhere but I can't seem to find anything that looks like it. Any ideas?

20210507_165532.jpg

20210507_170325.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14k = gold content and the star is probably a maker's mark.

Agreed.

Also... i will tell you this... That ring is worth a WHOLE lot more than when it was bought.

Like tremendously.

That particular type of jade is considered the best... and is highly sought by serious jade collectors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Disaster Factory

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14k = gold content and the star is probably a maker's mark.

Thanks so much! I knew about the 14k but I appreciate the info about the star mark. I haven't found any maker's marks that resemble it, but I'll keep looking.Thanks again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Disaster Factory

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed.

Also... i will tell you this... That ring is worth a WHOLE lot more than when it was bought.

Like tremendously.

That particular type of jade is considered the best... and is highly sought by serious jade collectors.

Woah, I had a feeling it was high grade jade, but I didn’t know it was quite that valuable! That's really good to know, thanks so much for the information! My grandfather took it to a jeweler once and the jeweler wanted to buy it really bad, but he wouldn't sell it. I'm glad he held onto it, and now I see why the jeweler wanted it so much!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! I knew about the 14k but I appreciate the info about the star mark. I haven't found any maker's marks that resemble it, but I'll keep looking.Thanks again!
I have found a few with star mark over the yrs - old gold rings :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't the star indicate that it is 14K according to the "world standard" which would be 13K in the U.S.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions