**Update** After 25 years I finally dug a gun!! ;-)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I can't even begin to guess the number of iron pipes I have dug thinking they were barrels.. well.. after 25 years I finally dug one!! Not exactly what I hoped for but hey... I'll take it!!! I've been going back and hunting old sites with the V3 and found this along an old stack stone wall.. made my day!! It is 35" minus the missing stock..

Any ideas as to make and model?? I know it's not that old but hey.. it's counts!!!

MB

Ok.. after a day of soaking.. it is a COLUMBIA SINGLE SHOT 12 GA. SHOT GUN. DAMASCUS BARREL, BLACK POWDER ONLY. I can read the "Columbia".. still pretty crusty so I'll give it a week or so.. appears to be 1890ish maybe a little later.

**UPDATE**

After the first cleaning..

Attachments

• IMAG0382.jpg
    IMAG0382.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,636
  • IMAG0381.jpg
    IMAG0381.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,823
  • shotgun2.jpg
    shotgun2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 213
  • shotgun1.jpg
    shotgun1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: After 25 years I finally dug a gun!! ;-)

Way to go monkeyboy :headbang: don't know what type, but somebody will get it shortly :icon_thumleft:

bdu1962

Nov 29, 2011
Rich Creek VA.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool old shotgun. Looks like maybe an old Hopkins and allen or maybe a winchester if you clean it up a little it will have the make and model #s on it. Nice find.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

umrgolf said:
Way to go monkeyboy :headbang: don't know what type, but somebody will get it shortly :icon_thumleft:

Thanks!! You know.. I actually stood there for a sec looking at it thing.. "no.. it really is a shotgun!" ;-) A video of it all would have been pretty funny!!!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

bdu1962 said:
Cool old shotgun. Looks like maybe an old Hopkins and allen or maybe a winchester if you clean it up a little it will have the make and model #s on it. Nice find.

It does have the style of the 1900+- Hopkins and Allen.. esp the trigger guard.. thanks!!

MB

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.. now that is a cool find !
Thanks for the photos !

Chip W

Greenie
Mar 8, 2012
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is a sweet find. My vote is for Hopkins and Allen because of the trigger and guard as said earlier.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

MonkeyBoy said:
I can't even begin to guess the number of iron pipes I have dug thinking they were barrels.. well.. after 25 years I finally dug one!! Not exactly what I hoped for but hey... I'll take it!!! I've been going back and hunting old sites with the V3 and found this along an old stack stone wall.. made my day!! It is 35" minus the missing stock..

Any ideas as to make and model?? I know it's not that old but hey.. it's counts!!!

MB
I'm pretty ignorant about guns, shotguns notwithstanding, but would there be any maker's marks on it? I bet after a nice cleaning you may find some and then you'd know for sure. Of course, once cleaned you could get a decent facsimile stock and hang it on your wall. That would be some conversation piece and decoration! Great find!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

DMN said:
MonkeyBoy said:

MB
I'm pretty --deleted-- about guns, shotguns notwithstanding, but would there be any maker's marks on it? I bet after a nice cleaning you may find some and then you'd know for sure. Of course, once cleaned you could get a decent facsimile stock and hang it on your wall. That would be some conversation piece and decoration! Great find!

I'll have to soak it for a week to get the rust off.. hoping for a maker's mark somewhere on it.. I have already been looking for the same model.. hang a good one and the dug one together. ;-)

MB

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations! I used to have a shotgun just like that. Mine had Chikopee Falls, (Mass. ?) on it. I shot my first turkey with it. Mine had a full choke pattern and could really reach out there.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on the gun Mark. That is pretty cool. Hey, I would like to invite you to my new forum. If you wouldn't mind please, post some of your past finds and hang out for a while. The site already has over 500 members and is growing more and more every day! www.justgodetecting.com I just became a White's dealer too , if you ever need anything.. Give me a shout! I'll offer you some great prices on product if you patronize me as well :hello2:
I hope you are feeling well.
Mike and Family

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on finally finding a shotgun! :notworthy:
I'd love to find something like that some day! :thumbsup:

Dave

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

awesome. definately not winchester, maybe hopkins and allen, possibly iver johnson, but back in the day there were dozens of similar looking guns with a myriad of markers markings, probably most made by 1 or 2 companies on contract for others. Most makers marks were pretty shallow so if it's pitted to any depth you probably won't find one. Makers markings would most likely be in the middle left side of the receiver. The top of the barrel in the breech area would normally read the gauge followed by choke (12 ga CHOKE, choke meant full choke) occasionally followed by chamber length or in the case of some iver johnsons, "barrel and lug forged in one" or some such. Good luck finding the makers marks, would be interesting to hear if there are any that are readable.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have to fix it up and put it on the wall for sure , nice piece and Congrats :headbang:

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welcome to the gun club. Nice find. I just got into metal detecting a few weeks ago. The first time I took it out to practice in my yard I found a gun. Now I am hooked for life.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats, Welcome to the club !! :headbang: is it a 10 gauge or 12 ???

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Now that's the WOW Factor!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mark, I know exactly what you mean, those countless pipes and endless holes dug to get to them only to be let down by a pipe........Fantastic Find buddy!! Congratulations :occasion14: :occasion14:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Woodland Detectors said:
Congrats on the gun Mark. That is pretty cool. Hey, I would like to invite you to my new forum. If you wouldn't mind please, post some of your past finds and hang out for a while. The site already has over 500 members and is growing more and more every day! www.justgodetecting.com I just became a White's dealer too , if you ever need anything.. Give me a shout! I'll offer you some great prices on product if you patronize me as well :hello2:
I hope you are feeling well.
Mike and Family

Mike.. Just joined! I'll send you my wish list when I "need" more machines!!! ;-)

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions